New fish for the Don.

there are pike all over the don, i have caught pike upto 8lbs from the stretch next to meadowhall and have had smaller jacks out of the salmon pastures stretch, but know that there are bigger pike.

Yeah, I know where you're coming from.

Far too much of the licence fee goes on salmon fisheries which most of us aren't allowed to benefit from.

The state of the river Don banks are unreal - need some serious cleaning up. There's still lots of dumping by industry (thankfully most of it isn't toxic) which I'm sure the environment agency could tackle with more patrols or investigation.

By clearing the bank and improving flood defences the stocks may not get washed away - I still think the fish remain in the river but in the lower wider and deeper stretches - the upper reaches become such a torrent with the steep banks that there needs to be some sort of man made refuge areas in order for course fish to thrive in numbers. There's deffo a reduction in course fish after big floods in my experience but the trout and grayling seem to remain.

i still catch barbel from the same strech has i did well before the big flood a few years ago,they just moved into the slack water.so the flood did knock the fishing abit but all rivers flood.i think that sometimes this is a good thing has the weaker fish die of leaveing the better fish,giveing far better genes

cheers spankysufc but where is salmon pastures

Here ya go ;)

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&gs_nf=1&cp=18&gs_id=22&xhr=t&safe=off&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1440&bih=775&q=sheffield+salmon+pastures&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x4879780dcbb73eb7:0xc7294888cc75584b,Salmon+Pastures,+Attercliffe+Rd,+Sheffield+S4+7WZ&gl=uk&ei=SmlTT9elGoWChQeq6pHzCw&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=image&resnum=1&sqi=2&ved=0CCEQ8gEwAA

Edit: I have had some lovely Grayling and Brownies from the weir @ Neepsend on the fly. Shame about the sodding fly tippers that keep littering the banksides grrrrrrrrr

Edited by Muldoon

After all the talking about it I eventually had two afternoons on the Don this week. Its been about 15 years since I tried it last and I fished then at attercliffe and Salmon pastures catching mostly roach at attercliffe and chub at salmon pastures. This time I attacked Hillsborogh catching between 30 - 40 trout, biggest about 1.5lbs and a grayling about 1lb. Then monday afternoon 2.5 hours at salmon pastures saw about 20 trout and one grayling all slightly smaller than at hillsborough. It was agreat change fishing the stick float in the shallows where I had to fish to catch as I couldn't get a bite in the deeper glides and a pleasurable few hours fishing. It would have been nice to catch a roach or chub but I can't complain. Not been for a while because been having jip with tenniss elbow, but it gave the bug back so off to the Trent tomorrow to try get some bream (probs be a flop lol). "River Fishing" brings back memorys, Good Old Days.

i learnt all my watercraft from the salmon pastures and have had some monster fish including 5lb chub and 2lb roach aswell as big trout and grayling. now im mainly match fishing i miss my days out with my waders and bait apron, finding the swims you couldnt access from the bank.sometimes i would start near ladies bridge in town and end up near meadowhall by either wading down the river or walking down the 5 weirs walk.

still some big barbel up to double figures ive seen them landed and weighed but im not telling whare they are im going in the summer to have a bash at getting some lol tight lines