Dog howling when left ideas to help him.

Iv taken on a 6 month old staffy X long story short he was going to be tied to a lamppost and left. I have had him since Thursday and he now sleeps in the kitchen at night on his own no whineing nothing :)

He is very good in so many ways but I had to leave him yesterday from half 9 til 12 I came back and he was quite but reports from neighbours suggest he was howling really bad for most of the time.

I have been leaving him to go outside for 5 mins then back and praise then leaving for longer. But what else can I do to help him.

Any ideas welcomed

Get him a companion, another dog or cat, perhaps.

Got 2 cats already and he's ok with them but they don't like him lol. My house isn't big enough for another dog. It's just confusing that he's going over 10 hours at night on his own in the kitchen so why not the 2 and a half he was left when no one was in.

Hi,

we rescued a poundie, who was understandably a little upset when left (after coming from the pound and then spending 2 whole days in 100% human company, when we went to the shops he cried.

We started off leaving him in the kitchen and going to the lounge, closing the door and working from there to walking out of the door, etc etc.

He took to it after about 2 days, and after that he seemed to accept he couldnt be with us 24/7.

He sleeps in the kitchen fine, and will still have an occasional whine if my OH goes out (she is his favourite) but nothing that would upset the neighbours.:hihi:

We do leave the radio on constantly though, so there is always a background noise.

It may just be seperation anxiety after being moved from one situation to another. Find a distraction, our two love a teddy that smells of meat or a Kong stuffed with food, but stick with it, he will settle eventually :D

Good luck

I leave the radio on for him, stuffed kong and a few other toys, somewhere warm to snooze, as far as I know he doesn't make any noise, i've asked the neighbours and they don't hear him.