Sheffield RSPCA

The word 'caged' could mean just locked up, it could be a large dog run, or a shed, in reality. Basically just locked up outside, with no attention for the most part of the day could be what some people would call caged. I think we may be imagining something far more sinister, no way can they be in an actual cage, surely. Hope OP will clarify :)

In my experience dogs "caged" outside consists of a run about the size of a back garden with a shelter inside. If it fails to offer these basics the RSPCA would have intervened during there visit. They didn't so obviously it's unlikely to be a"crate" for crate training type thing.

The op is or was a police officer - they know that the RSPCA or council can do nothing simply on a report and need evidence. This has obviously not been provided to their satisfaction yet.

This is what I was thinking, my uncle keeps greyhounds in a run outside on his back garden. I assume some people would say they are 'caged up' outside. They have an outer fenced off area, and a large (heated) hut to sleep in. Quite suitable.

Why are you picking over the details?

What type of cage???

Its a cage.

A metal box type thing with lots of square holes that allow the dogs to see around it but not move more than a few feet. Tell me, if you were well fed, walked once a day and generally loved would you want to live in a cage,

Regardless of the 'type'?

Is this description factual or are you merely guessing?

No one here is arguing in favour of the conditions or environment that the dogs are kept only the points raised as per the Welfare Act and none of these would appear to be breached. Obviously if they are in a 'box with holes' then this would indeed be unsuitable buit as Willman states, if correct then the RSPCA would take action.

Is this description factual or are you merely guessing?

No one here is arguing in favour of the conditions or environment that the dogs are kept only the points raised as per the Welfare Act and none of these would appear to be breached. Obviously if they are in a 'box with holes' then this would indeed be unsuitable buit as Willman states, if correct then the RSPCA would take action.

Guessing?

Maybe..

I just cant understand the nit picking thats going on over what type of cage.

Taken from the OP: "Three doors from me several dogs are kept caged outside all year round. "

We have been left with using imagination as to the type of 'cage' but the OP doesn't actually state they are kept in a 'cage' as in a cage to match your description. It just says 'caged' which could mean anything. I just wanted a bit of clarification, as obviously, certain types of 'cage' have to be viewed as being unsuitable conditions.

Guessing?

Maybe..

I just cant understand the nit picking thats going on over what type of cage.

For the reasons stated, if it is confined to a small area such as the box then it can be considered cruel. If they are in a suitable sized shelter that offers room to stand and move around then it is suitable.

Until we know what the OP's definition of caged is we can't say either way can we?

I was under the impression that although affiliated with the RSPCA, the Sheffield site is run independently, relying entirely on charitable donations from the Sheffield area. Additionally, I am led to believe that they are currently running at a loss of about £3000 per week. With this in mind, I sincerely doubt that it is a case of the RSPCA not doing their jobs properly but that there are insufficient funds and resources available for them to help every mistreated animal in the region. I might be wrong but I was talking to one of their Trustees just yesterday while I arranged the adoption of some cats whom the Sheffield RSPCA have nursed back to very good health on very limited resources.

The Sheffield RSPCA is is a separate charity to the RSPCA. However they do claim to protect animals from cruelty. That from my OP.

There seems to be some need for clarification here. The animals are contained in what I would call 'a crate' as one would put a dog in for a car journey. The cage is about 10 feet long and four feet high has chicken wire on one side and wood on three sides, so not tiny by any means. However the dogs are left for up to 23 hours a day unattended.

I possibly am in the lucky position of never having nor wanting to keep a dog/dogs in those conditions and I consider it cruel.

The Sheffield RSPCA is is a separate charity to the RSPCA. However they do claim to protect animals from cruelty. That from my OP.

There seems to be some need for clarification here. The animals are contained in what I would call 'a crate' as one would put a dog in for a car journey. The cage is about 10 feet long and four feet high has chicken wire on one side and wood on three sides, so not tiny by any means. However the dogs are left for up to 23 hours a day unattended.

I possibly am in the lucky position of never having nor wanting to keep a dog/dogs in those conditions and I consider it cruel.

It isn't ideal but if it offers shelter and has at the very least fresh water throughout the day then there is little that can be done. I very much doubt it would be seen as cruel. As I said before, a lot of kennels offer exactly the same without the exercise.

No doubt you are right. I despair of this country. I really do. Still at least the way things are going I can look forward to being able to send small children up the chimney to clean it and when that is done and I have administered a sound thrashing I can look forward to an evening of great entertainment watching badgers being baited.;)