Sheffield RSPCA

I was under the impression that although affiliated with the RSPCA, the Sheffield site is run independently, relying entirely on charitable donations from the Sheffield area. Additionally, I am led to believe that they are currently running at a loss of about £3000 per week. With this in mind, I sincerely doubt that it is a case of the RSPCA not doing their jobs properly but that there are insufficient funds and resources available for them to help every mistreated animal in the region. I might be wrong but I was talking to one of their Trustees just yesterday while I arranged the adoption of some cats whom the Sheffield RSPCA have nursed back to very good health on very limited resources.

but they still shouldn;t be kept locked up in cages for 23 hours a day whether they can or can not do anything!!

Dogs in Council Kennels do exactly this each and every day, I don't see people pushing for these to be exercised as per any Act.

The Act referred to in the OP does not require the dog to be entertained. So long as the basic needs are catered for i.e. shelter, food and water there is little the RSPCA can legally do. If the noise is a nuisance then the council should act.

Dogs in Council Kennels do exactly this each and every day, I don't see people pushing for these to be exercised as per any Act.

The Act referred to in the OP does not require the dog to be entertained. So long as the basic needs are catered for i.e. shelter, food and water there is little the RSPCA can legally do. If the noise is a nuisance then the council should act.

I agree here, the basic needs, from what OP says are met. A lot of dogs are not even walked (which I suppose is entertainment in a way) but these are.

'The ability to express normal behaviour' would cover them being able to, and allowed to, bark and howl I should think, which seems the OPs biggest problem.

Of the 5 basic needs the only area that is grey (and I've searched for a definition) is 'the ability to express normal behaviour.' It's true that whilst in it's cage it is unable to do this. The fact that it has no company might be for its own protection or to protect the other dogs from it and carries no weight as a complaint.

It would be argued that it can express normal behaviour when it's exercised and again there is no requirement that this has to be given more than once a day; many owners use their gardens for this on a daily basis which to some is not enough.

The duty of care falls on the owner when he is in control of the dogs, the householders are solely responsible for there welfare at all other times so unless you can obtain evidence of cruelty or neglect there will be little you can do other than report the noise if it is excessive.

They aren't ideal conditions but as I said previously, it's the norm in many kennels throughout the country, exercise and the ability to express normal behaviour is non existent. For many solitary is the norm and affection of any kind is not forthcoming. In comparison your neighbours dogs are doing ok.

When the OP says the dogs are 'caged' but some live together, and one kept separate, what type of cage are we talking here? If they are kept 'together' I would assume there are a few of them in this 'cage'? x

When the OP says the dogs are 'caged' but some live together, and one kept separate, what type of cage are we talking here? If they are kept 'together' I would assume there are a few of them in this 'cage'? x

Who knows, could be anything from a travel crate to a shed, peoples definition of 'caged' tendes to vary. Maybe she can enlighten us later.

Why are you picking over the details?

What type of cage???

Its a cage.

A metal box type thing with lots of square holes that allow the dogs to see around it but not move more than a few feet. Tell me, if you were well fed, walked once a day and generally loved would you want to live in a cage,

Regardless of the 'type'?

As post above yours stated, peoples ideas of a cage varies, it could be a small box, like a crate used for house training, or it could be a shed, it could be quite a large area fenced off with chicken wire, we don't know. I'm assuming though, if it was a small housetraining type cage (even a large one) with more than one dog living inside (if thats what the OP means by 'together'), then that would be against the RSPCA rules? If not, then theres something wrong.

AND THAT IS WHY I'M PICKING OVER THE DETAILS.

Why are you picking over the details?

What type of cage???

Its a cage.

A metal box type thing with lots of square holes that allow the dogs to see around it but not move more than a few feet. Tell me, if you were well fed, walked once a day and generally loved would you want to live in a cage,

Regardless of the 'type'?

So your interpretation of 'caged' is in a small metal box, with holes. Others could say my dog, who is confined to one room, is kept 'caged', I wouldn't say she is.

*disclaimer* - My dog is very well cared for, and has a nice bed, and toys in my large dining room. She is not kept there all the time, she spends a lot of time in the garden and getting walked. She is confined to the room by method of a safety gate, and can see us if she gets out of her bed to look. We do this as we have a 4 week old baby, who the dog is a bit jealous of, rather do this than get rid of her*

I'm trying to figure out the type of cage, so I can see if I would agree with the OP that the dogs are in unsuitable living conditions (as in living in an unsuitable space)

Edited by Leah-Lacie

So your interpretation of 'caged' is in a small metal box, with holes.

Where did i say small?

Thats right, i didnt.

Others could say my dog, who is confined to one room, is kept 'caged', I wouldn't say she is.

I wouldnt either. Id say it was restricted but not caged.

I'm trying to figure out the type of cage, so I can see if I would agree with the OP that the dogs are in unsuitable living conditions (as in living in an unsuitable space)

Im sure if it was just restricted to a part of the garden or yard the op would have said restricted. As it is they said caged :)

I can't imagine that more than one dog kept in a cage of any size would be considered acceptable though, my first thought was a cage, like a dog crate, but that can't be right, which was why I asked?

In my experience dogs "caged" outside consists of a run about the size of a back garden with a shelter inside. If it fails to offer these basics the RSPCA would have intervened during there visit. They didn't so obviously it's unlikely to be a"crate" for crate training type thing.

The op is or was a police officer - they know that the RSPCA or council can do nothing simply on a report and need evidence. This has obviously not been provided to their satisfaction yet.