Partition England Scotland

I think the connection between the North and the South goes beyond politics. For all the rivalry that exists we need each other and politics shouldn't come into it.

We're stronger together.

There is obviously a shared connection beyond politics. That bond really counts for nothing if it gives political parties a free reign of economic and social destruction. I think you'll tend to find money talks and that's what this will come down to in the end.

Unless of course the Tories really put a plan in place for growth in the regions. But seriously can you see that happening?

My evidence is in my head; I was living in the North at the time, I remember it happening.

Perhaps if you'd been around you would have seen it. Nobody could forget the amount of pain we had to go through to sort out the disastrous economic mess left to us in the early 80s, by decades of governmental incompetence.

I've lived in the north all my life (except for 5 years in London). I'm from the north and I know there might be evidence of some factory rebuilds but any evidence of a systematic widescale regeneration of northern industry is probably like you say in your head.

Why don't we partition away Lancashire while we're at it.

And in fact, how much do we have in common with Leeds.

And my part of Sheffield doesn't have much in common with that lot in Dore and Totley.

In fact, can't we partition my street? I've never really liked that lot across the road.[/quote

Do you mean insular like the Americans? (allegedly)

For the record Vague Boy is actually a suspected simpleton from Baaaaaarnsley!:cool:

I never yet knew a Scot who could be described as "thick"

You need to get out and about a bit more. They're just like everybody else. there's bright ones and dim ones. And ones in the middle.

Its ludicrous that Scotland think its a good idea. North Sea oil will run out soon and then where will they be?

Added to that their MPs serve in two parliaments at the moment don't they. Isn't that almost like having double the power of an English MP?

Finally, I'm not so sure anyone thinks the EU is a good idea at the moment!!

:loopy:

Edited by The-stig
Grammatical error

I remember there being massive investment in the North in the 80s, to replace thirty-years-outdated factories that should have been closed in the 60s and had bankrupted the country by not being.

do you mean by building places like meadowhall on the sites of the old factories?

]The north does need to attract business. The problem is the government has cut the means of doing that by two thirds. We need some regional autonomy and a regional budget we can use to our advantage.

After all, isn't this what the Tories are supposed to be trying to encourage? Greater localism, less power at the centre etc...

Isn't this what MPs from the north should be doing in Westminster? Aggressively pushing for more investment and jobs in the north?

Isn't this what MPs from the north should be doing in Westminster? Aggressively pushing for more investment and jobs in the north?

Of course. Totally agree they're not doing a great job.

do you mean by building places like meadowhall on the sites of the old factories?

Don't forget the call centres. We got a few of those. many since closed and transferred to india

Added to that their MPs serve in two parliaments at the moment don't they.

there might be a couple who are members of both the westminster and scottish parliaments but on the whole they dont.

i'm not sure that it's even possible to serve simultaneously as a member of both parliaments

Why dont England, Wales and N I have a say in weather Scotland should become indepdendant, why is it just for the Scots to decide? after all, Scottish independence will mean the end of the United Kingdom.

I think all 4 parts of the UK (England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland) should all agree weather one should be able to leave.

Edit: actually it wont mean an end to the United Kingdom will it? the UK will just be reduced to being England, Wales and NI.

I still think all the countries of the UK should have a say though.

Edited by TheGuy

You need to get out and about a bit more. They're just like everybody else. there's bright ones and dim ones. And ones in the middle.

I think the majority are bright enough to know that independence from the rest of the UK is not a viable option despite all the nationalist rhetoric and leaving the European Union the most foolish move possible.