Do you remember Fir Vale in the 1950s and 1960s?

Hello and thank you for the info. My Grand parents where Bernard and Nelly Sellers who lived at number 15 with their daughter - my mother Joyce Sellers. My Auntie Lilly (Lilly Fox) owned the corner shop on the end of Coningsby rd and later moved to number 17.

Thats brilliant - thank you. I've ordered your book from Amazon and looking forward to reading it with my mother tomorrow (if it arrives on time).

Is there any pictures of coningsby rd and or residents in the book or do you have any you could share? I've only managed to find one on the internet from picturesheffield.

The book is actually by Michael Glover, and published by ACM Retro who have published quite a number of books on aspects of local history. I've also ordered the book via Amazon and look forward to reading it. The book is illustrated - here is a link to the publisher's description.

Yeah, I certainly remember it, and before, in the 30's and 40's. I always remember it as a 'nice' area. That is as a 'gentile' sort of area. Fairly posh houses, certainly big houses, the kind with the twitchy curtains. Mind you, I was only a kid, so what did I know? All my connections with Fir Vale were via Crabtree Lane, I had relations down there and it was like going for a trip to a country village. Some funny 'ha ha' times at the Laws, that was the name of my relations. All that and the 'Sunbeam' cinema, in second place after the 'Collie, and the 'Roxy' in later years. I made some good friends down that way too. The book in question sounds good and it's on my list.

Use to live on Baggley Road a few doors from pet shop across from Skinerthorp Road 1970 good strong stone built house and a clean environment totally different from today

Hello and thank you for the info. My Grand parents where Bernard and Nelly Sellers who lived at number 15 with their daughter - my mother Joyce Sellers. My Auntie Lilly (Lilly Fox) owned the corner shop on the end of Coningsby rd and later moved to number 17.

Surprised no one has mentioned the chip shop near the bottom of Barnsley Road. 'Sunbeam Fisheries'. Now they had great stuff, I lived in Pitsmoor and had a vehicle so Haddock etc. still hot when I got home. I used to go there every Friday evening.

After a short stint at 'English Steel' I started my apprenticeship at Firvale actually 'Torpedo Ventilating' to be exact which was just up Herries Rd on the left-hand side approx. 100 - 200 yds from the bottom. When I was the shop lad I used to go to the bakery next to Banners for Eccles cakes and the like for the guys at the little factory, funnily enough I went to Rushby St for fish and chips sometimes, if there was a closer one I never went too it. Texas mentioned Crabtree Lane, I knew it real well, didn't the Scholeys live somewhere near there Tex? fleetwood

After a short stint at 'English Steel' I started my apprenticeship at Firvale actually 'Torpedo Ventilating' to be exact which was just up Herries Rd on the left-hand side approx. 100 - 200 yds from the bottom. When I was the shop lad I used to go to the bakery next to Banners for Eccles cakes and the like for the guys at the little factory, funnily enough I went to Rushby St for fish and chips sometimes, if there was a closer one I never went too it. Texas mentioned Crabtree Lane, I knew it real well, didn't the Scholeys live somewhere near there Tex? fleetwood

Fleetwood: around where you are talking about (near the bottom of Herries Road),was there some sort of vehicle dealership there ?

I lived on Hinde House Lane but went to the regular jazz nights at the Cannon Hall (each Wednesday I think) with the Climax Jazzmen in the 1960's. Harry Jarvis ( a friend from Reform Chapel BB ) played the bass . They were great nights.

Fleetwood: around where you are talking about (near the bottom of Herries Road),was there some sort of vehicle dealership there ?

That was Turner's Garage, my father bought Ford cars there in the 50's and I had my '38 Austin Conway serviced there also until 1958; on the corner of Herries Road with Fir Vale Road.