Thatcher the Milk Snatcher.

This thread really is about the history of recent politics and how they shaped our area and attitudes. Feelings of resentment, distrust and perhaps even hatred are still very deep and very real.

I lived through the times and the images still remain. If any younger Forumer would like to attempt to understand the times I would suggest that they watch the film "Brassed off" which is an excellent portrayal of the era and typifies what Thatcher and tories in general are all about.

The band in the film actually was based upon "Grimethorpe Colliery Band"

Edited by Pinderson

If any younger Forumer would like to attempt to understand the times I would suggest that they watch the film "Brassed off" which is an excellent portrayal of the era and typifies what Thatcher and tories in general are all about.

The band in the film actually was based upon "Grimethorpe Colliery Band"

Mr Smith claim to be from mining stock, maybe he should take note what it was really all about ……… don’t just click this link and then close it ………

If they were seals or whales you would all be up in arms ………… says it all really.

Walking behind you villages banner at the

, annual trip to the seaside, going to the club on a Sunday afternoon for pop and crisps, community spirit, days when you not only knew your neighbours … you actually worked with them ………. All gone and nothing to replace it. Edited by Grandad.Malky

So I work with people in a factory years / decades later they still feel too intimidated to speak the truth

Almost certainly yes.

………. Get real .

Please do!

Mr Smith claim to be from mining stock, maybe he shout take note what it was really all about ……… don’t just click this link and then close it ………

Walking behind you villages banner at the

, annual trip to the seaside, going to the club on a Sunday afternoon for pop and crisps, community spirit, days when you not only knew your neighbours … you actually worked with them ………. All gone and nothing to replace it.

But they've all gone quiet over there!

:hihi::hihi:

Sheffield was producing more steel in 1997 than it had been doing in 1979; considerably more, in fact. The highest steel production the city has ever achieved was in 2008.

Coal Production dropped quite considerably though didn't it....

Almost certainly yes.

Please do!

Come on then ………… I have nailed my flag to the mast, instead of one-liners how about giving us a bit of your background.

But they've all gone quiet over there!

:hihi::hihi:

Watching that speech almost had me in tears, I think I better leave this thread to you before I lose it ……… good luck.

Watching that speech almost had me in tears, I think I better leave this thread to you before I lose it ……… good luck.

Hmmmm......I think that you and I (and some others) on this thread feel very strongly about this subject. We have all obviously personally experienced the gross injustice felt in that era. It would be unfair of us to leave it here without telling them how things really were and what the tories really are about. It would be an injustice to the younger members to do that.

Edited by Pinderson

Who? You mean the miners? Or milk drinking kids?

No, I mean the millions of people who worked in the industries which the old hag derided as 'smokestack' did REAL jobs, who paid their taxes to the UK Govt and kept the economy of this country with a credit SURPLUS!

Why is their no footage of the 1980 steel strike, which had much more significance to Sheffield than the miners strike?:confused: