Thatcher the Milk Snatcher.

More cheaply maybe but do you seriously think your energy BILLS are cheaper now then pre wicked witch of Grantham? So where is all the money going?

no ones energy bills have decreased solely due to most energy being pegged to oil. we are continually told the price reflects it rarity but oil companies miraculously fild new reserves as soon as one runs out.

Squandered? Destroyed? The coal is still there. It will be worth a lot more in a few years. Why should we have kept subsidising miners to dig it when we could import coal far more cheaply?

It was better "subsidising" miners and keeping them in work than it is subsidising greedy shareholders to sit on their butts and make no contribution to anything as is the case now. The price of fuel has shot through the roof since closing the pits, or haven't you noticed?

Edited by Palsonly

Ah yes, those wonderful pioneering British industries.:rolleyes:

Yes, profits made in UK, and sent back to Japan.

Yes, profits made in UK, and sent back to Japan.

While paying British workers and paying British tax to the treasury. Far better than an industry that made no profits and only cost the UK economy.

It was better "subsidising" miners and keeping them in work than it is subsidising greedy shareholders to sit on their butts and make no contribution to anything as is the case now. The price of fuel has shot through the roof since closing the pits, or haven't you noticed?

I agree with the first part, in part, but all industry has to support itself, otherwise why have any industry at all? Why should one company receive money to support it when its not feasible while others have to stand on their own? You can keep pouring money down the drain.

The price of fuel has shot up because of demand and it has nothing to do with our tiny islands drop in coal production. it was cheaper to import coal rather than use our own. Something that is now changing it would seem, but then we are also scuppered by the EU and our commitment to reduce our CO2 emissions.

We would have the cheapest fuel in Europe now if Thatcher had not destroyed the mines.

We would have the cheapest fuel in Europe now if Thatcher had not destroyed the mines.

how? coal was too expensive to mine back then. Now it could be different, but EU carbon taxes will inflate the prices.

why do you think no one is mass mining coal again if its such a great resource?

I hate the bitch but a lot of people think she was wonderful for the country I think you have to make your own mind up,she did nothing of any good for our area, I think stopping the kids milk was going to happen sooner or later it was a throw back from the old days when kids used to have bad diets and rickets,she did a lot worse than that,but she will always be known as Thatcher the milk snatcher.

Why was Margaret Thatcher nicknamed the milk snatcher and why do some people hate her so much?

Thatcher was the greatest leader of our time! Almost as good as Ronald Regan! :love:

How do you figure that out? The miners were earning £500 a week in the early 80s. The only reason fuel was cheap was because of massive subsidies.

She shouldn't have privatized things like gas,water and electricity.

She shouldn't have privatized things like gas,water and electricity.

now that I can agree with :)