Which was the best pub that closed in Sheffield and why?

On 26/09/2019 at 22:37, Paul Worrall said:

Hi Rocker,

Yes you're right about there being an old pub on the Cross Guns/Sure Start site. I'm not sure and hope somebody out there will help but I believe the old pub was demolished and the new one  built at the same time that there was mast clearance to build Washington Flats? Sharrow changed so much in the 70s/early 80's.  Where Sharrow Park and the new primary school is were several streets of terrace houses. There was a little corner shop about in the middle of where the new school now stands. In the days of strict licencing laws off sales weren't allow to sell drink outside the prescribed opening hours, so Sunday afternoon could often prove problematic if you fancied a drink.  However this shop keeper was always very helpful, providing you had a large bag (pre pastic), and bought something esle to hid the contraband you could get hold of Strongbow or Gold Label between 1400-1900.

Wazzie Worrall

I remember a beer off, courner of Sitwell Rd. we'd buy a bottle of ScottMack & sit on't steps of Mount Pleasent. God that was horrible stuff.

Franklin St and all those roads around there were our playgrounds.

There were alsorts of abandoned things when the houses had been vacated.

Gask masks and British helmets where everywhere. Piece of wood in a door jamb would remove it without messin with screwdrivers we had some great bonfires. I'd left home before Randall St and all the Hill St area clearences started.

Rocker.

On 28/09/2019 at 15:50, KMG said:

Anyone know if the Hen and Chickens is still in business, it  was near Haymarket at the back of the old magistrates court not far from the Cannon. They had a great juke box in the early 70's, you use to get a real mix of clientele.

Somebody mentioned on another thread recently that it was still going strong. Can't remember which one though.