Which was the best pub that closed in Sheffield and why?

On 13/09/2017 at 23:23, Jim Hardie said:

It was on Attercliffe Road. Had many a Saturday night lock-in late 80s. The building is still there but been derelict for years.

Hi Jim I used to go in every night (early) and sometimes at Dinner when irish man called Jerry had it .He was an ex copper and built like a ----house but he was a decent guy and kept a good pint and sold great sarnies.We are talking around 1970 time.

I loved The Cocked Hat on Worksop Road. I was gutted recently when I realised that yet another great pub had closed down too. Great atmosphere, a proper old school pub. Did anybody else drink in there?  :( 

1 hour ago, petcharlie said:

Hi Jim I used to go in every night (early) and sometimes at Dinner when irish man called Jerry had it .He was an ex copper and built like a ----house but he was a decent guy and kept a good pint and sold great sarnies.We are talking around 1970 time.

Hi Charlie. I see you contributed to this thread. I stuck it up as a reminder.

15 hours ago, Jim Hardie said:

Hi Charlie. I see you contributed to this thread. I stuck it up as a reminder.

Thanks Jim I had forgotten about it.

17 hours ago, TinStar said:

I loved The Cocked Hat on Worksop Road. I was gutted recently when I realised that yet another great pub had closed down too. Great atmosphere, a proper old school pub. Did anybody else drink in there?  :( 

My uncle used to frequent the place often, he was friends with the landlord and landlady in the 60's, he used to stay there often too.

On 15/11/2017 at 20:32, choogling said:

The albert top of Cambridge St. shut years ago due to bomb damage from ww2 now demolished, It was the meeting point for many a drunken night out in Sheffield in the seventies, great jukebox in the back room feeding a 4x12 cabinet it could be heard on the city hall steps.

loved the Albert with it's view of the town hall (through the cracks) it's movable tiled fireplace that would get moved into other rooms.

didn't it have a strange inner passageway that led into the outside toilets?  Red lion (back of town hall) also with its out side toilets was good for a bit of underage drinking (got free tickets to see Wee Willy Harris while drinking in't Red lion once)

BEST PUB  - FOR DEFINATE  - & I don't think it's been mentioned so far  - ROYAL LANCERS - Penistone Rd they invented all day drinking.

strange mixture of factory workers, before and after their shifts, Police officers from the nearby West bar, thiefs and wise boys all mixed together - but best of all Sunday dinner times with the 2 BIG glass bowls the land lady brought out, one full of onion gravy t'other full of yorkshire puddings which would be followed by more puddings when they ran out  & all for free. As long as there was someone buying, the place would be open - Happy Daze. WHITE ROSE further up also did free Yorkshires on a Sunday and if you were very lucky the Landlords mother also did homemade Black Pudding & nothing like the black plastic skined stuff yer get from supper markets now . Last in my little list - Dog & Partridge on't Cliff good for us old Teddy boys.

Rock On

What about the Cross Guns in Sharrow? It was a brilliant pub when Jason was landlord in the late 80's, early 90's. The Tetley's was always well kept and occasionally they would have live bands on. Jason lost his licence in the early 90's for opening on a Sunday morning when there was a match at the Lane. It really went down hill when Jason left, evetually closing and becoming Sharrow Sure Start. The new pub was built on the site of the orginal Cross Guns which was the first pub I went in went I was about 15. I also have a vague memory of another pub in Sharrow which I think was called the Franklin?

Wazzie Worrall

*The Highway * Pyebank road but the front door was on Fox St.took some beating had some great times in there up to 1976

On 24/09/2019 at 12:34, Paul Worrall said:

What about the Cross Guns in Sharrow? It was a brilliant pub when Jason was landlord in the late 80's, early 90's. The Tetley's was always well kept and occasionally they would have live bands on. Jason lost his licence in the early 90's for opening on a Sunday morning when there was a match at the Lane. It really went down hill when Jason left, evetually closing and becoming Sharrow Sure Start. The new pub was built on the site of the orginal Cross Guns which was the first pub I went in went I was about 15. I also have a vague memory of another pub in Sharrow which I think was called the Franklin?

Wazzie Worrall

Hello Wazzie.

I'm not sure (could be an age thing) but I have a vague memory of an old pub being demolised before the new Cross Guns being built.

I went to Sharrow lane and well remember Franklin St and all the houses that were demolished around there. 

we had some happy days playing in deralic houses and then on the maisonets (where my Mother still lives) when they were being built (don't tell my Mum we used to play on the roofs).  does anyone remember either a wood yard or some sort of workshop on the left hand side of Club Garden Rd (going down towards Landsdown) it was somewhere near the top opposite the chip shop corner of Hobart St?

Never a Big lover of Tetleys (Born in Scotland - Whisky better) I'd drink anything in my drinking days though (except gin).

I had a re think but still got to to go for Royal Lancers, Close second has got to be Jolly Buffer on Ecclesall Rd any time you wanted a chip buttee even on closing time you could get one. I'v still got a Queens Ale glass tankard and Queens ale beer mats. 

Our lass had to remind me - The Little Messters further up William St sure did an Excellent pint of Mansfield's & the Hermitage for the live Rock n Roll nights and the Wards. we moved out of Sheffield in the late 80's. Wards started selling in various pups out here but it didn't catch on - "it smells funny "  my answer was " yer don't buy a pint t' smell it - get it drunk"

Rocker Hic!

Hi Rocker,

Yes you're right about there being an old pub on the Cross Guns/Sure Start site. I'm not sure and hope somebody out there will help but I believe the old pub was demolished and the new one  built at the same time that there was mast clearance to build Washington Flats? Sharrow changed so much in the 70s/early 80's.  Where Sharrow Park and the new primary school is were several streets of terrace houses. There was a little corner shop about in the middle of where the new school now stands. In the days of strict licencing laws off sales weren't allow to sell drink outside the prescribed opening hours, so Sunday afternoon could often prove problematic if you fancied a drink.  However this shop keeper was always very helpful, providing you had a large bag (pre pastic), and bought something esle to hid the contraband you could get hold of Strongbow or Gold Label between 1400-1900.

Wazzie Worrall

Anyone know if the Hen and Chickens is still in business, it  was near Haymarket at the back of the old magistrates court not far from the Cannon. They had a great juke box in the early 70's, you use to get a real mix of clientele.

Edited by KMG