Which was the best pub that closed in Sheffield and why?

The Vine at Mosborough. What a great night out that was in the early 1980's. Had some wonderful times in there.

Me too, loved it - a warm Thursday night stood out side and it would be packed.

Anyone mention The Raven? A meeting place for many of us at Sheff. Univ. in the '60s.

Anyone mention The Raven? A meeting place for many of us at Sheff. Univ. in the '60s.

Became the Hornblower and then an Irish themed pub, O'Hagans? Site now redeveloped.

Became the Hornblower and then an Irish themed pub, O'Hagans? Site now redeveloped.
Ah yes - the Raven, of happy memory! I used to go there in the 1970s, and later when it was the Hornblower. Here is an old thread with links to photos etc.

The Truro Tavern, used to go in at lunchtime when I was at Granville College in the 70s, the burgers were wonderful.

I think its more a case of which pubs closed WHEN and why. Some of those pubs in their old formats did not so much close down and they died and their deaths were expedited by legislation, the hikes in pub prices, interference by the monopolies commission (possibly actually encouraged by the big brewerys.. it has been said) availability of cheap drinks from the supermarkets, wages, the drop in the amount of disposable income. The rise in the popularity of both home entertainment and the internet. The number of sad people who's lives now revolve around social media. And not overlooking how much socially engineered culture change has taken place through all the afore mentioned factors and more.

Pubs that were great in XXXX died because we slowly came to believe, or perhaps taught, that we no longer wanted them.

Thursday ad Sunday nights in local pubs and the city centre, the Wicker, West Street, Division Street all used to be big nights and if you like an extension of the weekend. Now they are practically dead on those nights and Fridays and Saturdays are heading in the same direction.

The few pubs that remain from the 70's and even the 80's are pretty much internally unrecognisable, the clientele have changed as has the drinking culture.

There is strong tendency to call town pubs bars now an Americanism that reflects the way the establishments have changed.

Were it not for the students I do not see the city center holding out much longer when it comes to post 8:00 pm drinking.

Good thing or bad thing, I make no judgement really change can be good or bad or both, its just my perception of what I believe I've observed since I was an underage drinker.

The Adelphi, where the Crucible now stands, for it’s sporting history, not to mention the best pint of Stones served in the city centre.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pinderson View Post

For me it was The Cannon. I could buy cigarettes, perfume, razors, aftershave and much much more at less than the price in the shops from there!

You could even order something from certain customers and within half an hour they had been to their supplier and got it for you at a huge discount price! Even Wilkinsons could not compete on price.

I think you might find that back then Wilkonson's was spelled Woolworths, another major supplier was the Co-op and many trade negotiations also took place with the apparent approval of many in the law amd legal professions on the premises known as the Hen & Chickens.

That's because whatever they sold at would be at 100% profit and probably tax free

The traders in some Sheffield center pubs and The Cannon particularly and at one time the unofficial Irish Embassy, the Lady'sbridge, did appear to have some very successful strategies for feeding the rather lucrative demand their customers created.

They did though and lets not forget face fierce competition from rival traders in outlets along the length of the Wicker, from the Bull and Mouth to the Hole-in-the-wall and of course the Black Swan with its Saturday added distraction of impoverished go-go dancers that could not always afford clothing. Before it became a barbers and ladies hairdressers what was that place under the Black Swan called? I heard rumours you could buy vehicles and firearms in there.

I do recall some young people, usually but not exclusively male, indicating that their aspirations for post compulsory education employment did include dedication towards and often to the exclusion all other career paths becoming a "Cannon Boy".

Their mothers ((and fathers if they knew them) must have had a tear in their eye as hearts their swelled with pride.

Edited by fill

The Adelphi, where the Crucible now stands, for it’s sporting history, not to mention the best pint of Stones served in the city centre.

The Classic Rock bar on Ecclesall road sold the best pint of Magnet. Closely followed by the Noahs ark, Intake.

Sheffield Arms on Upwell St, great people and proper Stones bitter, great times. Sadly no more.

The Marples

Always a good night in there

Every night of the week n all!

On 17/11/2017 at 23:18, sedith said:

The Whetstone on Cumberland Street. I worked there in the early 70's for Eileen and Tom Walsh.

So did I