Why should I pay for prescriptions?

I paid from 1966-April 2011 but don't pay now, have high blood pressure and need medication to stave off stroke or heart attack, I think I paid my whack for many years so am not going to be made to feel guilty now that I get £7.20 a month for nothing:roll::roll:

Do you mean that you don't pay for BP tabs ?

I get free prescriptions because I am on thyroxine which (in my case) is a life dependent drug. However, this also entitles me to everything else issued on prescription for free. I'm not sure I entirely agree with this, whilst I like not having to pay for everything I don't really believe I should be entitled to everything else for free.

What I don't understand is that if a person has worked & then gets made redundant and claims Contribution based jobseekers allowance they are not entitled to free prescriptions even though they have contributed. A person who has never worked and claims income based jobsseekers allowance is entitled to free prescriptions. It just doesn't make sense to me.

Could they not apply for exemption on low income grounds via the HC1 form?

I get free prescriptions because I am on thyroxine which (in my case) is a life dependent drug. However, this also entitles me to everything else issued on prescription for free. I'm not sure I entirely agree with this, whilst I like not having to pay for everything I don't really believe I should be entitled to everything else for free.

There are a lot of inconsistencies with the system but if you think how much bureaucracy there could potentially be with categorising prescriptions related to the exempt conditions/s and those not, it's probably cheaper just to say exempt is exempt, full stop.

The Irish do not pay for prescriptions.

The Welsh do not pay for prescriptions.

The Scottish do not pay for prescriptions.

OAP's do not pay for prescriptions.

Children do not pay for prescriptions.

Scroungers do not pay for prescriptions.

Asylum seekers do not pay for prescriptions.

EU foreigners working here do not pay for prescriptions.

I have worked for more years than I would like to admit and am STILL paying for prescriptions!

Why should I?

I hate it when i go to the pharmacy...BEFORE GOING ON NIGHTSHIFT! and I am the only one paying....STILL!:rant:

Could be worse, you could be made to pay the full cost of said drug. If you want free prescriptions, I suggest you go live in Scotland or somewhere!!

So they are all more heavily taxed than the English worker are they?:huh:

At the end of the day the drugs don't come for free, so working people in England pay a token amount for them, and the rest is made up from taxation, in other countries the entire amount is paid from taxation.

Think yourself lucky you don't live in the US when you're busy looking at people to compare yourself to.

Get over yourself. We do have it good here. Try living in another country for a while then you will see. The Nhs is excellent and a world leader in many respects. No one is forcing anyone to pay for prescriptions.
i dont live in another country i live in this one but i like a few more i suspect are fed up of paying for people who dont contribute to this country /fed up of paying for other peoples countries downfalls/and even more are fed up of other countries telling us how to run our own country :loopy:

Do you mean that you don't pay for BP tabs ?

If you read the post you quoted you would see why they don't pay

If you read the post you quoted you would see why they don't pay

Please enlighten me.

At the end of the day the drugs don't come for free,
they do if you live in scotland :hihi:

Get over yourself. We do have it good here. Try living in another country for a while then you will see. The Nhs is excellent and a world leader in many respects. No one is forcing anyone to pay for prescriptions.

The fact is that we, the working class, fought for this country to be as it is.

If it were not for generations gone before who struck and fought against our exploiters, we would have nothing.

When our fathers came back after WW2 they decided it was not going to happen again.

They voted for the Atlee government, and the Welfare State.

They fought for it, and threw out the old ways.

And it remained under some great leaders.

But by their old sneaking ways they have seduced the public once again.

Not once, but twice.

First the Thatcher.

Now the Cameron.

When will they ever learn?

What about cheaper prescriptions for those on life time use of a drug .. Say, blood pressure and asthma (my husband takes them so they are the ones I'm quoting).