Allotment site manure problem

We will shortly be receiving about 10 ton of manure up on our allotment

site, this will be dropped off in the carpark for allotmenteers to then barrow it up on to their plots. to try and divide it up rough evenly, if one plot holder

wants a ton : how many wheel barrow loads would that be ?

it took me, my mum & stepdad around 3 hours to barrow a tonne of manure into my lottie from the door. Not sure how many barrows - around 60 ??

Guest sibon

It rather depends upon the size of the barrow. How high you plie the manure. And how wet it is.

Why don't you just let folk take what they need. It isn't exactly expensive stuff.

Count up the barrow loads to move the whole lot, calculate the cost per barrel and then charge accordingly?

It's not exact (as Sibon says different sized barrows) and involves a lot (!) of counting but probably more accurate than trying to work it out beforehand.

Consensus of opnion is about 50 barrow loads , i feel a lot of **** shoveling

for me soon, I want 2 tons

I had "3 tonnes" delivered a couple of years ago and it took 66 heaped wheelbarrows, and a whole weekend on my own, to clear it.

Have fun!

If its well rotted ie looks like compost then it won't be very dense (heavy). If its fresh the water content will be higher and it will be more dense (compact) so 1m3 will weigh more than 1 metric ton.

Its usually so cheap I wouldn't worry about measuring barrows out. Just make marks in the top of the pile so you have a bit each to shovel from.

no more s... shovelling for me.our allotment site has just started selling horse manure pellets,just sprinkle and rake in.no weeds