Opinions on the immigration of Somalian refugees

Originally posted by Internetowl

I attempted to read the 'whistle blowers' book recently - kept falling asleep. Its no wonder they all sneak in - the poor staff at immigration must be in comas.

tbh, I bigger t*** you couldn't hope to find in life than our dear whistle blower. I sobbed when no one turned up to his book signing :P :P

Originally posted by StarSparkle

It's obvious that the whole 'system' of immigration is in chaos - the ex-Home Secretary Blunkett admitting a year or so ago he had no idea how many immigrants were actually in the country. And he gave the impression that he wasn't too concerned about it. Just what is going on? :suspect:

There needs to be a national debate about immigration. ASAP. Giving asylum to those who are genuinely in fear of their lives is one thing - letting illegal immigration go on virtually unchecked (so no-one has any idea of who is actually living in this country) is quite another matter. This has potentially HUGE implications for law and order.

Starsparkle

tbh you are pretty wide of the mark. Illegal immigration is imposible to track but legal immigration is not in a complete mess. some managers desks do require special forces training in order to attempt to locate something admitedly:D

Our asylum laws are tied to several different pieces of international and European legislation. We have a juducual system and altering the appeals system could potential contradict said laws.

Illegal immigration is impossible to eradicate imo.

My issue with a lot of these immigration threads isn;t the fact that immigration should be discussed. It should. It is healthy in a liberal democracy to discuss such things. My issue is that these threads tend to be less about immigration and more about black or Asian immigration.

As I pointed out on the previous thread, 2 murders have been commited in the last year by people from the new EU countries. Yet they tend to be ignored but if a Somali does something we have a big hoo-har

If it wasn't for Illegal Immigration I'd be out of a job :(

Originally posted by D2J

If it wasn't for Illegal Immigration I'd be out of a job :(

is that a good or a bad thing? :D

Originally posted by robbie

is that a good or a bad thing? :D

I'm still deciding :)

Its rough job though being in the Civil Service..

Originally posted by D2J

I'm still deciding :)

Its rough job though being in the Civil Service..

I here you guys are dab hands at making tea! ;)

Originally posted by robbie

I here you guys are dab hands at making tea! ;)

Thats just our cover :hihi:

I UTTERLY DESPISE THEM

Originally posted by angle20

I think I read somewhere that in Somalia there is a female circumcision rate of around 90%.

Read it here on WikiPedia.

The city has a significant Somali population that dates back to the 1930s. Somali seamen who originally settled in British ports gravitated towards industrial cities like Sheffield to work in the steel and mining industries and by the 1980s, the city was home to a Somali population numbering around 60 (MacKillop circa 1984).

At this time, the Somali population was quite scattered over the city, from Gleadless to Crookes and Nether Edge and from Manor Park to Southney Green and Ecclesall. Many lived in corporation housing after the houses they bought when they first arrived in Sheffield were demolished.

After civil war broke out in 1988, Sheffield residents were joined by families and friends fleeing the war, and estimates of the Somali population now range from 3,000 - 6,000 (Hillaac et al 1994,Pollock 2000, Hujaleh 2002). A survey conducted in 1999 found that of 249 Somali residents, 91.9% came to Sheffield as refugees. 35.8% had been in Sheffield for five years or less and 64% had been in the city for six years or more (Hamm 1999).

It is suggested that 90% of Somali community is from the northern region known as Somaliland (North) and the main areas of residence in the city in 2002 were cited as the Burngreave area of Spital Hill, Darnall, Broomhall (Hujaleh). However, in 1999, another source had cited the main areas as Broomhall, Pitsmoor, Firth Park, Park Hill, Manor, Sharrow, and Netherthorpe, suggesting that there may have been some changes in the patterns of settlement (Hamm 1999).

In the 1990s, a large number of Somalis were housed in the Castledale area of the Manor, but were later moved due to serious ongoing racial harrassment in 1996. Somali children are said to be present in significant numbers in Springfield, Byronwood, Pye Bank, Pye Bank Trinity, Firs Hill, and Fir Vale schools (Hujaleh 2002). Research and reports from service providers suggest that the Somali community suffers from high unemployment, mental health problems and racial harassment.