A628 Woodhead pass, whats it like for a daily commute?

It is a quality commute on a motorbike..

yes, in summer !!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks everyone for the swift and informative Posts. I had a suspicion it might be a bit of a nightmare, and you've confirmed that. Moving is unfortunately not an option, so I'll keep on looking for somehwere a little closer :) .

Thanks again.

Nick

Is the train a possibility?

Is the train a possibility?

I was on that train, a few years back, that stopped at Bamford on way from Manchester to Sheffield and then on to Nottingham. Train staff told everyone to get off train and make their own way. It was starting to snow at the time. No help at all from train company, only compo was a couple of tickets (I think). Not used train since :rant:

Problem with driving via Woodhead Pass (or Snake when open) is, as previously stated, Mottram (from bottom of hill) to roundabout on M67. This can be a problem both to and from Manchester. I once was stuck on M67, back from Manchester to Sheffield for 2 hours.

Best bet, get a helicopter :hihi:

i do this journey four times a week - luckily at a time to suit myself, between 7.am and 9.am expect to start queueing at tintwistle/hollingworth and all the way up mottram moor, luckily for you - you wont need to use the m67 as to get to hyde you can drive past hattersley and godley then past morrissons into hyde itself

Depending where you're starting from in Doncaster, is it worth considering the A1(M), M62, M60 route? A lot more miles, and fuel costs, but you avoid Mottram, so might be less variable (unless the M/way is shut of course).

I was on that train, a few years back, that stopped at Bamford on way from Manchester to Sheffield and then on to Nottingham. Train staff told everyone to get off train and make their own way. It was starting to snow at the time. No help at all from train company, only compo was a couple of tickets (I think). Not used train since :

My husband has been commuting from Sheffield - Manchester for 16 years! I think he was on that train as I remember him managing to get a bus from Bamford and me going to Ecclesall Road with our baby in the car to meet him. (There was no way we were going to risk me driving to Bamford to get him in that weather). The vast majority of the time the journies go on without incident but when they do go wrong, they tend to go spectacularly wrong!

Depending where you're starting from in Doncaster, is it worth considering the A1(M), M62, M60 route? A lot more miles, and fuel costs, but you avoid Mottram, so might be less variable (unless the M/way is shut of course).

I find when I'm taking the motorway that my fuel costs go down because I'm cruising at a steady speed, none of the hard braking and accelerating on the woodhead or snake roads.

Would be easier and cheaper to find a cheap B+B up that way and stay over monday to thursday!