Advice needed for lone rat

i would love to get him a friend if i could get one from a rescue even better there are enough homeless as it is, but dont you need 2 cages for that? and i would take him to the vet right now but i just lost my job so i have no money for a extra cage, vet bills (bought the drum kit then lost my job before anyone asks)

he is a good rat rather mardy when it comes to having a cuddle though lol but loves exploring!, i used to get that shredded cardboard but the place i got it from shut down =[ so started getting shredded paper free from my moms work.

i will do that with the aerosols, also i can move his cage into another room when i am practicing drums for a prolonged period of time, so he is less likely to have any damage to his ears( even though he has to put up with me listening to metal music ehe!)

i have only every bought rats from breeders and always had them in pairs but this guy was in a pet shop and came right on up to me and was alone so i got him,i know he should have a friend, but would leaving him alone this long affect his ability to make a ratty friend?, unfortunately the drum kit has to stay in my room but just as a test i played it and watched his reaction and he was not bothered at all i just dont want to mess his hearing up bless him,

its the sneezing thats worrying me most i thought it might be because of the cold i know about syno or whatever its called, and he is only on paper but with old clothes for bedding, which i washed in the washing machine so it may be the detergent thats bothering him thinking about,

im going to change this from a rehoming thread to a advice thread because i would love to keep him and if i can find the cause of the sneezing then im happy, sometimes it is rather bad and when i get him out it does stop after 20 min or so

As a fellow drummer.. Get silencer pads if you are that concerned with his hearing?

they have silence pads on them =] there still pretty loud though

No, no, rats are designed to live in groups. Assuming you have him in a decent sized rat cage, another one or two shouldn't require more space.

Good idea about moving him out when you're practising :)

Some of the fancy rat forums often have rescue rats advertised - http://www.fancy-rats.co.uk/community/viewforum.php?f=23&sid=de5832d93d3b989f26c82022f6056239

I definitely wouldn't want to be playing drums next to my rats' cage. They have very sensitive hearing.

He definitely could do with some friends, rats are not designed to live on their own. (Depending on what answer i get from another member is, i may have a pair of rescue bucks available)

Sneezing can be a result of lots of things. I wouldn't worry unless he has excessive porphyrin or makes chesty noises.

his cage isnt huuuge at the minute need to wait to get a bit more money before i can upgrade it which i was planning on doing anyway,

let me know if those bucks become available, but would i need a separate cage for them while they get introduced?

the reason i have been wary of adding more rats is i used to have a VERY agrresive rat well he was aggressive towards other rats but not to humans, he would try killing my other 2 mental little dude he was lol but he was great with people.

and ill look on rescue sites

cheers for all your help i would much prefer to keep him over get rid of him, and im allowed to move him into the dining room while i practice so his ears will be ok =]

If you are thinking of introducing another (and please do think about it - he will be so much happier with a chum) try and get a new cage. However, if you are going to be putting them into a cage that one has been in on his own then thoroughly disinfect it to remove the scent. They may squabble a bit to begin with but let them (as long as they aren't tearing bits off each other!) as they will need to sort out who is top rat.

I've stopped keeping rats now (something you have to plan in advance!) and really miss the little critters. I have a cat now, and she definitely doesn't mix with small furries! Boy rats are such lovely things, I had a male, Bruno - ginger with pink eyes, I have never known a cuddlier rat. Girls are lovely too, but so busy all the time, boys like a nice lunch and a nap :) Glad you are trying to keep him. Let us know how you get on.

his cage isnt huuuge at the minute need to wait to get a bit more money before i can upgrade it which i was planning on doing anyway,

let me know if those bucks become available, but would i need a separate cage for them while they get introduced?

the reason i have been wary of adding more rats is i used to have a VERY agrresive rat well he was aggressive towards other rats but not to humans, he would try killing my other 2 mental little dude he was lol but he was great with people.

and ill look on rescue sites

cheers for all your help i would much prefer to keep him over get rid of him, and im allowed to move him into the dining room while i practice so his ears will be ok =]

Yes, you would need a spare cage, i have lots though. And i am happy to do the intro for you if you need me to. Rats are always easier to intro in a strange environment. I will let you know.

cheers for al your replies and that would be great lillyland, please let me know as soon as you do =]

Fantastic! So glad you get to keep your furry chum :D

does anybody know any more rat rescues? to see if i can get him a mate from one

Around 3 months ago we got a lone rat as she was the only one left and we felt sorry for her. We have always had rats in pairs. I don't think it's fair that places are allowed to sell single rats or gerbils for that matter as they are definitely happier in groups.

Only this Saturday we have re-homed two other females with her. Careful introductions, a hint of the old vanilla essence and a neutral territory has resulted in success. They are now all cuddled together with no serious injuries and only a few minor squeaks and tumbles.

Three happy little girls.:hihi:

Pets at Home at Wadsley Bridge have a re-homing section and there always seems to be an abundance of male rats.

In addition Google introducing rats and there is some excellent tips on there.

Good luck