Halal meat - ignore it, or eat it?

Chicken is Chicken but why have some supermarkets been hiding the fact that they have halal meat ?

look at this video -

KFC, Subway ect. also have halal meat - it has not bothered me before until i've read and looked at a few vids.

I enjoy chicken and chips from KFC or from places like Kababish on wicker. But i'm just wondering are there any fast food places that do NON-HALAL meat? It's just the thought now that i'm now having on how the animal is killed then an islamic prayer is prayed upon it.

Guest sibon
Chicken is Chicken but why have some supermarkets been hiding the fact that they have halal meat ?

look at this video -

KFC, Subway ect. also have halal meat - it has not bothered me before until i've read and looked at a few vids.

I enjoy chicken and chips from KFC or from places like Kababish on wicker. But i'm just wondering are there any fast food places that do NON-HALAL meat? It's just the thought now that i'm now having on how the animal is killed then an islamic prayer is prayed upon it.

Before you worry about the prayer that is said over the meat, you should possibly consider the conditions that the animal was reared in.

I'd eat a free range halal chicken, but I wouldn't touch a a battery farmed non-halal one.

How about you? Where do your morals lie?

I try and stay away from halal meat for the silliest reason. A few years ago i watched a delivery wagon turn up full of halal meat. When the van was opened the carcasses inside had flies on them and the delivery driver was moving the meat around on the floor of the van. It was filthy.

Since then i have been put off eating halal meat. Stupid i know, but once the idea is in my head.....

I try and stay away from halal meat for the silliest reason. A few years ago i watched a delivery wagon turn up full of halal meat. When the van was opened the carcasses inside had flies on them and the delivery driver was moving the meat around on the floor of the van. It was filthy.

Since then i have been put off eating halal meat. Stupid i know, but once the idea is in my head.....

I agree. Years ago i worked as a courier and had regular deliveries to an iranian run halal chicken processor down in chesterfield. Utterly appaling hygene standards put me off touching halal meat ever so i don't eat the stuff. I think the animal welfare argument about the slaughter method is at best tenuous, but having seen what went on at a firm that supplies a lot of sheffield takeaways if a place sells halal then I will not eat there.

Before you decide if you are eating halal meat or not, there is only one question -

Is it tasty?

Does it matter how it is killed or what is put upon it? I am sure if videos were avail of the KFC kitchens then no one would eat there either, if you watch Hells Kitchen (or any other cookery show) you will see that people handle your meat and move it around the plate etc.

So the main thing is to forget what you are eating and decide if it tastes nice or not x x

and yes people may say @ahh but that is not right, that is in humane (etc etc) but at the end of the day normally you will find that these are the same people that will eat KFC and Battery farmed chickens etc xx

If your that afraid, then avoid the New Zealand lamb which is the best in the world.. Otherwise enjoy, get a job, and worry about real things in life :)

Yes I agree, meat is meant to be eaten - it is meant to be freash and nothing tastesd better than a lamb steak or a mature aberdeen angus sirloin - halal is all about how it is killed and stored - and if you believe all that and how it is really kepy (and if you see the delivery vans that I see) then you would advoid it if you can xx

the chicken we sell at work is halal and the factory it comes from like our place has to be up to a certain standard and so does the chickens also have to be up to standard,if it doesn't then the MHS can revoke your cutting licence and in turn stops you trading.if people didn't supply halal to the muslim community then they would be losing custom quite simpily,and yes i do realise some hala butchers mainly the muslim butchers do not work to the hygine standards that we do and get away with it,and thats the bit that is wrong,the weights and measures man that came to check our scales a few months ago admitted "we are affraid to go and hassle them".there is deffo one rule for us and one rule for them,and that is why they get away with poor standards

The Dutch parliament has recently passed a law banning halal meat, though their leadership has delayed it's introduction until it has been passed by the senate.

The Dutch parliament has recently passed a law banning halal meat, though their leadership has delayed it's introduction until it has been passed by the senate.

It has banned the slaughter in the Netherlands,but has not banned the import of it.

A double standard ?

look at this video -

As mentioned on another thread, if you were selling Halal meat then there would be little point in hiding the fact. If nobody knows it is Halal, then the customers you were specifically trying to cater for wouldn't know to visit your shop.