'300' Spartans - something didn't make sense?

The film was great and I know this was a fantasized version of Thermopylae, but several things seem contradictory to the iron discipline of Spartans?

At one point the Spartans are sheltering beneath their shields from a heavy Persian arrowstorm, which lasts for about 30 seconds and thoroughly peppers the ground around them.

Then, in order to face a fresh Persian cavalry assault, the Spartans do something I thought stupid?

Instead of withdrawing carefully through the dense masses of arrows - stuck in the ground and the trajectory pointing slightly towards the Persians- which could act as crude anti-personnel/cavalry devices (horses famously do not deliberately run over dense masses of people and often refuse what they deem as high walls/hedges or dangerous ground objects?), Leonidas leads his now-exposed men forward through them towards the Persian cavalry onslaught and where the rear of his army would snag their legs and fatally stumble on the arrows if forced back?

Hmm, good point. But this film was never known for it's historical or military accuracy?

This is madness!:loopy:

NO!, this is Sheffield Forum...

...and thus such silliness is par for the course. :rolleyes:

Hmm, good point. But this film was never known for it's historical or military accuracy?

I don't think the film claims to be even remotely accurate, it's just entertainment.

lol its meant to be a film / entertainment NOT military strategy from the leaders of the warring armies

:loopy:

lol its meant to be a film / entertainment NOT military strategy from the leaders of the warring armies

I asked it on Imdb, but I forgot how arsey and sarcastic this forum is.

think you just take your films too seriously lol, im easy at switching my brain off :)

do you play role playing games?

loads of guys with 6-packs running around semi-naked and you're taking it seriously, did you not think "thats not much in the way of armour" ?

Even more unbelievably apparently Xerxes was 9 foot tall and into fetish gear.

Even more unbelievably apparently Xerxes was 9 foot tall and into fetish gear.

He also looked nothing like the historical figure.