Did you attend Frecheville infants or Juniors?

I went to the village school first, then to one on Birley Spa Lane, I think it was called Rainbow Forge but im not sure its been so long ago, i was about 4 or that was about 1955,

Rainbow forge moved from Birley Spa Lane to Carter lodge site some years back. I think there are houses now on the old Rainbow Forge site

I happened upon this site before - and noted with pleasure that quite a number of people remembered my mother Mrs Jean Creasey. Sadly, she died last year aged 92.

I went to Frecheville Infants in 1952 :Mrs Kay Taylor (Headmistress); Mrs Whitehead, Mrs Campbell, Miss Beale (of course!),and I had to remain in my Mom's class for a year until I went to the Juniors (Mrs Maxwell, Ted Green, Mr & Mrs Sykes, Chris Murton, Headmaster Mr Hart.)

Some of my classmates included Elaine Bellamy (who went on to teach at Charnock, as did my Mom), David Fell, Alan Castle, Ian Varley, Edward Hague; Joyce Fairgreaves; Elizabeth Simpson et al. We all went down to the new school at the beginning of our last year in the juniors. I believe it (the new school) didn't last too long and has long since been knocked down. I can still recall milk tablets; mutton, beetroot, lumpy mashed spuds all covered with gravy (yuk!); ice slides in the yard; football with pebbles (no bean bags in my day!) - then, down in the new school - chips !!

Hello,Jleec,

I left Frecheville infants in 1952,missing the last few weeks of term owing to scarlet fever. Miss Wiseman was headmistress then. Others were Mrs Whitehead,Miss Massey,Miss Beale (who can forget her nature tables ), Miss Booth who became Mrs Buckley and whose class I was in at the end - and ,coincidentally, whose son I taught many years later. I also seem to remember a Mrs or Miss Fisher whose party trick was to slap legs. But though I rack my brains, I cannot bring to mind a Mrs. Creasey. Was she a Miss in those days.Which year did she teach? She lived a good long time but it's strange to think,when we think back to those days and can picture many of our teachers,how young many of them were and how young they appear in our memories.

Hi Graham T

You would have gone by the time we arrived.

My Mom didn't start at the school until maybe '54 or 55. I was in the headmistress's room making papier mache masks when I heard her talking to the secretary that one of the teachers was going to leave or was off for a long time - and I blurted out that my Mom was a teacher ! They signed her up almost immediately ! I don't remember how long she was there - but she used to play tennis with two teacher friends - Mrs (Brenda) Campbell and Mrs (Margaret) Millington. I think they all left about the same time and Mom went to teach at Charnock Primary school.

I happened upon this site before - and noted with pleasure that quite a number of people remembered my mother Mrs Jean Creasey. Sadly, she died last year aged 92.

I went to Frecheville Infants in 1952 :Mrs Kay Taylor (Headmistress); Mrs Whitehead, Mrs Campbell, Miss Beale (of course!),and I had to remain in my Mom's class for a year until I went to the Juniors (Mrs Maxwell, Ted Green, Mr & Mrs Sykes, Chris Murton, Headmaster Mr Hart.)

Some of my classmates included Elaine Bellamy (who went on to teach at Charnock, as did my Mom), David Fell, Alan Castle, Ian Varley, Edward Hague; Joyce Fairgreaves; Elizabeth Simpson et al. We all went down to the new school at the beginning of our last year in the juniors. I believe it (the new school) didn't last too long and has long since been knocked down. I can still recall milk tablets; mutton, beetroot, lumpy mashed spuds all covered with gravy (yuk!); ice slides in the yard; football with pebbles (no bean bags in my day!) - then, down in the new school - chips !!

I thought Mrs Maxwell taught at the infants (I'm talking about 1959/60). She had shoulder length red hair. Yes - I understand the junior school was turned into a housing estate. When I was there 601/62 it was considered VERY modern/state of the art.

I thought Mrs Maxwell taught at the infants (I'm talking about 1959/60). She had shoulder length red hair. Yes - I understand the junior school was turned into a housing estate. When I was there 601/62 it was considered VERY modern/state of the art.

Mrs Maxwell was definitely at the juniors on base green when I was there, (1963_1966) I remember her very well with her victory v sweets on her desk!

Yes, Mrs Maxwell taught the "2nd Year" at the Juniors.

Year 1 was Mrs Burton (who I believe sadly died when still a young woman);

Year 2 Mrs Maxwell

Year 3 Ted Green

Year 4 Chris Murton

I attended Frecheville Juniors from 1952-56.

Mrs. Barker taught me in 1A from 52-53. She later went on to teach 4B.

Mrs. Maxfield in 2A,53-54; I don't recall shoulder length red hair but what she did have was a large and unmistakable port-wine stain birthmark down her cheek and neck. She also had a large and formidable slipper!

Miss Cooper taught 2B.

Mr. Green 3A,'54-'55;a really pleasant guy.

Mr. Murton 4A,'55-'56;red faced and ferocious. I remember him narrowly missing a boy's fingers as he put his thick cane through the top of a thin plywood desk, and having to learn 'Abu Ben Adhem' by heart.

Happy days !

Oooh.. I was ever so frightened of Mr Murton!!!

I'm obviously confusing Mrs Maxwell with someone else.

There was a teacher at the infants who had long wavy red hair. I remember her doing a hand stand in her frock and showing her suspenders and underwear - very embarrassing for a 5 year old!

Hi Helbco,

I think the teacher you're thinking of was a Miss or Mrs Fisher. Your description sums her up very succinctly.

I went to frecheville infants from 1955 and then Basegreen for juniors before going back up to Frecheville secondary We walked a long way in those days never thought anything about it though