Did you attend Frecheville infants or Juniors?

Sadly it is no more.... knocked down and houses built there.

Mrs Maxwell was definitely at the juniors, she lived in Beighton , Don't remember her husband though.

I remember Miss Beale at the infants wearing lace gloves-indoors! shocking!!

She was lovely.

I went to Basegreen Junior 60-64ish, before that Frecheville Infants 58-60ish and before that to Frecheville nursery which used to be on Birley Moor Road.

I lived close to both the Cundy & Umpleby families on Churchdale Road.

I remember the names only of Miss Beale & Selby from the infants.

At the juniors Mr Murton's daughter joined our class for 1 year, probably around 11+ time. Sad to read that the school has already been knocked down.

Miss beale wore that moth eaten fur coat she use to feed the pigeons in town

so was the junior school actually Base green Junior - not Frecheville junior?

Misty3 - you're right about Mrs Maxwell - she had red hair. I recall her doing a handstand in the PT class and displaying all her underwear and suspenders!!

Just remembered the name of the husband and wife teachers at the juniors - Mrs and Mrs Sykes.

Sad to hear it's been knocked down! Greenhill juniors (my other junior school) was still standing and yet was much older and run down than Frecheville/Basegreen

I attended Frecheville then went down to basegreen for my last year before going back up the hill to the seniors.Do you remember Mr Frost letting pupils eat sweets in class but only if you shared them with him.My favourite sweets at the time was liitle imps from the tin hut tuck shop on Thornebridge Rd.They turned your teeth black so he never asked for anymore

I had completely forgotten Mr and Mrs Sykes! I can't believe how far I walked to school--We lived at the bottom of Frecheville, and walked to Base Green, ( I remember a boy getting knocked down on Birley Moor Road )

I don't suppose anyone walks that far these days!

yes we did walk a long way - mine was uphill from the Jaunty area up to the infants school. I went there because my doctor recommended it as a 'fresh air' school (guess those were the days of heavy pollution in Sheffield).

Misty - did you start in 1960 or 1959? I started Easter 59

Edited by helbco

Misty - did you start in 1960 or 1959? I started Easter 59

Not sure to be honest- I know I started "big" school in 1966-so probably the same year as you!

no - I started at secondary school in 1965 so would have been one year ahead of you

I know 3 ppl hu i think went 2 freshville.ever herd of n e one by the last name Askham?

hi my mum went to freshville and her name was angela ASKHAM :D

I went to Frecheville infants starting in 1960 I think. Must have been a good experience though as I still remember quite a bit about it. The hike up to the canteen at the top of the site was a bit unusual as everyone was paired up and made to hold hands. I do remember the meals being good though (apart from Manchester tart and plum duff yuk)! They setup a Punch and Judy show once in the main hall which was fun. Learning to write was memorable as the teacher (unknown she) produced perfectly round letters on the blackboard.

Over the hill to Basegreen juniors after that, 2 years on the bottom yard and two years on the top one. That was the time when 'superballs' (made from hard compressed rubber) came out and lots of fun was had dodging these things that went like rockets after hitting the wall at the end of the yard. In year 4, had a Mr Murton and remember building a large battleship from empty cigarette packets. We spent hours learning our times tables by heart, something that has been invaluable over the years. The 11+ came last. Success sent you to Thornbridge Grammer, otherwise back to Frecheville seniors.

Hi I am new to this forum. I stumbled across it while trying to do some research on Frecheville Junior School. I didn't attend the school but was a regular visitor each evening as my dad was a teacher there and we used to collect him from work. Unfortunately he died in March 1970 which must have been a shock to the children in his class at the time. Does anyone remember Mr Edward Green? I have very fond memories of watching the children leave and then running up to his room to collect him.