British Gas - Surely they can't do this? Help!

You can't really expect them to back date your account just because you insist you never received an email from them

He can if British Gas can't find it in their own records; and they've already admitted they cannot.

He can if British Gas can't find it in their own records; and they've already admitted they cannot.

British Gas haven't admitted it, some poor phone support guy was put on the spot and asked to provide things he doesn't even remotely have the ability to provide, like email server records and recordings of a phone conversation.

How are they going to prove it either way? Companies don't keep email server logs for events that happened 15 months ago (6 months is the voluntary code requirement), and if it was sent by royal mail, there'll be no record either (unless sent via 'recorded signed for' - unlikely). Assumption is always going to be that it got sent and the OP either lost it, went to his spam folder, forgot about it etc. Onus will be on the OP to prove otherwise (IMO). Not fair, but realistic.

As the OP says, he barely uses gas, so it seems pointless getting in a strop about something you'll never be able to prove for what must be a rather small sum of money.

We all know all these energy companies have confusing tariffs and cannot be trusted as far as you can spit, which is more reason to keep more alert on your own situation and continually check your bills and consumption. This way you pick up mistakes quickly, rather than discovering 15 months later when there's nothing you can realistically do about it.

What is wrong in waiting for a bill to arrive before paying it? Why have a set amount going out from your bank on on a regular basis for fuel that you may or may not use?It is a no brainer to me, and i understand lots of people do it.

What is wrong in waiting for a bill to arrive before paying it? Why have a set amount going out from your bank on on a regular basis for fuel that you may or may not use?.

Because it's cheaper, as a rule.

What is wrong in waiting for a bill to arrive before paying it? Why have a set amount going out from your bank on on a regular basis for fuel that you may or may not use?It is a no brainer to me, and i understand lots of people do it.

You usually get a % discount annually or quarterly by paying by direct debit, plus sometimes the entire plan will have per unit prices lower than quarterly billing plans (before any DD discount).

You usually get a % discount annually or quarterly by paying by direct debit, plus sometimes the entire plan will have per unit prices lower than quarterly billing plans (before any DD discount).

Shadow, why do I think you're an employee of a large gas company?......

Cameron really must have given these energy companies a good talking to....:(

OFGEM all the way.

Direct debit is fine. You have the bill amount debited from your account. What i posted about refers to standing orders. No brainer like i said. A standing order is for a set amount each debit. Who uses the same amount of fuel every month of the year

You pay for what you get. If British Gas have hiked your payment, that may well be because gas is going to cost more. Much more.

No it isn't wholesale gas prices have dropped in the last few weeks

I'm fuming - so this might sound like a rant.

Long story short: British Gas have just told me my monthly payments for Gas and electric is going up from £135 (which was through the roof anyway!) to £199 per month!!!! (end terrace before you ask if I live in a mansion)

The guy on the phone said 'the only advice I can give you is that there are lots of 'deals' on our website loads cheaper than what you're on'

Me: 'Well why aren't I on one of them then?'

Him: 'You have to do it yourself on-line'

Me: 'But I set it up online. It was the best deal going. It was called Websaver

Him: 'You haven't been on that deal since August 2010

Me: 'what?...'

Him: 'An email was sent to you telling you that that deal was ending'.

(Quick check of my emails - i save everything) I told him I didn't receive one one. All this time I thought I was on a web deal!!

I asked him to produce the email. He couldn't. I asked him to send me copy of this 'taped' conversation before I go to OFGEM. He couldn't. I asked him to give me his manager's name. He couldn't (well actually he could, but he couldn't remember her sir name!)

He told me sorry you didn't received it but, hey-ho, your payments are still going up.

I want them to back-date my account and re-calculate my payments. They might even owe ME money! Am I being unreasonable?

Where do I stand?

I feel a bit sorry for him now i've calmed down, I kind of ripped him a new one.

What do you lot reckon?

Have you got a leak ?.:D

Direct debit is fine. You have the bill amount debited from your account. What i posted about refers to standing orders. No brainer like i said. A standing order is for a set amount each debit. Who uses the same amount of fuel every month of the year

No-one but it's an easy way to budget..the same amopunt goes out every month..at the end of summer you're in credit and this is used to pay the higher winter bills..monthly direct debit payments usually mean you get cheaper gas...I think I get a 5% reduction for paying dd..more than I'd get if I put the cash in a bank..