If you were giving something away would you expect a thankyou ?

I do find that impersonal messages on an open forum can appear a little abrupt and possibly rude,possibly as they may not want to appear to needy.However i've usually found that in private messages or in person people do tend to be appreciative and offer thanks.

It's the same in the world of rescue work.

Edited by willman

nope your not being funny, id expect a thankyou anyway and escpecially if its free of cost

They probably wouldn't say 'thank you' until they had been given the item though :)

When my Mum died and we were clearing out her house, none of us wanted the bulky items as we already had everything.

We advertised some of the items on the forum, and some of them we gave away to friends. Instead of actually asking for a fixed amount, we asked for donations to the British Heart Foundation.

Most people gave generously and were very grateful - but one person took a 3 piece suite (nothing wrong with it at all, and very clean), and put £1 in the pot!

We raised over £300 for the British Heart Foundation.

When my dad died I cleared his house. he had some good stuff, no rubbish for him. Nearly everything went to his neighbours and friends, just as he would have wanted. I never thought to suggest charity donations, that would have pleased him.