Mixing insulations

Hi there, who can advice me on insulation. I was thinking of putting thermal foil underneath eco-wool for my loft insulation. Its bloody freezing here.

Is it smart to combine two different insulation materials? If yes which ones and in which order?

Thanks G

Hi put the foil one down first then your over insulation of choice must be realy cold for you to use two types

You should have 100mm of rockwool between your ceiling joists then 170mm layered the opposite way on top of that. You can sometimes get a grant for the insulation. The foil that is any good is usually expensive so I would recommend using the rockwool much cheaper hope this helps

What is safe to lag cellar ceilings with please? Want to stop some of the cold air coming through into our living room, last winter was p-p-p-p-perishing!

Rockwool insulation held up with chicken wire also acts as a fire barrier would the cheapest way. Don't be tempted to block up the air bricks as your cellar will start to sweat and cause damage to timbers. Or if you have the cash get wet underfloor heating that runs off your boiler warm floor forever then.