City taxis installing meters in saloon cars

BonAccord..the meter has a TOTAL flag which adds the waiting time to the mileage charge and then displays it in the larger format, its described in the handout on how to operate the meter ;-)

And yes, Rotherham work on different rates per mile, hence more and more Rotherham drivers are trying to work in Sheffield both legally and illegally, so be careful as always what taxi you get home.

So much to say, so little time to say it :-(

BonAccord..the meter has a TOTAL flag which adds the waiting time to the mileage charge and then displays it in the larger format, its described in the handout on how to operate the meter ;-)

And yes, Rotherham work on different rates per mile, hence more and more Rotherham drivers are trying to work in Sheffield both legally and illegally, so be careful as always what taxi you get home.

So much to say, so little time to say it :-(

Yeah cheers for the update.

What happens when you drive under the viaduct as the GPS signal is broke, this leads to the mileage not recorded have the drivers got to simply guess? this happens in built up areas with large buildings i.e Town and Wooded areas like Grenoside, the meter does not catch up, drivers have tried it.

The unit takes the point from when the GPS is lost to the point it is found and calculates the distance travelled, therefore keeping the mileage costs accurate.

lol, just noticed in your profile BonAccord, it says occupation as - Dole4Eva - you should become a Taxi Driver and prove your driver friends wrong ;-)

Edited by WardOfAll
spelling mistake

I thought all cabs including salon cars had metres

if your the man you are all ways on here

Only Hackney Carriages (black cabs) have meter's fitted, and these are the reasons why Hackney Carriage prices can vary so much due to what traffic you get stuck in while it clocks up 'standing time'.

The Fare Indicators in the City Taxi's Private Hire and Hackney vehicles do not charge for standing time and only the mileage travelled.

Afternoon fellow Sheffielders,

There seems to be quite a lot of confusion about what a meter is and what isn’t in a private hire vehicle. I used to work in Leeds for a private hire company, which implemented the ‘Fare Calculator’ which is identical to what City Taxis are going to roll out at the end of the month.

Black cabs have meters which combines both time and distance. If you flag down a black cab you will be charged by the meter. If you were to do a mile and it takes you 2 minutes, you will be charged differently if the same mile takes 15 minutes due to traffic (you will be charged more).

When you order a private hire vehicle from City, the time a journey takes is not used it is simply the mileage (additional waiting time at a stop off is charged at 20 pence per minute).

A ‘Fare Calculator’ is not a meter, it does not charge you like a black cab. It simply uses GPS to work out the distance you have travelled which is a lot more accurate than the mileage clock! (Even tyre pressure can alter the distance clocked).

The ‘Fare Calculator’ will simply work out the distance you have travelled for the journey and displays it to the customer, identical to what City use at the moment. It simply doesn’t allow any human interaction to calculate the distance travelled. When we rolled it out in Leeds it worked brilliantly, people who travelled the same journey route always got charged the same. It did not allow drivers to get creative!

So in City’s case, when you get into the taxi £3.80 will be displayed, (which is inclusive of the first mile) it will then go up 65 pence per half mile after that.

So in short, what benefits do us (the customers) receive?

• It will be more accurate

• There is no human interaction

• No possible human error

• You will get charged exactly the same for the same journey… Period!

There seems to be quite a lot of confusion about what a meter is and what isn’t in a private hire vehicle. I used to work in Leeds for a private hire company, which implemented the ‘Fare Calculator’ which is identical to what City Taxis are going to roll out at the end of the month.

Black cabs have meters which combines both time and distance. If you flag down a black cab you will be charged by the meter. If you were to do a mile and it takes you 2 minutes, you will be charged differently if the same mile takes 15 minutes due to traffic (you will be charged more).

When you order a private hire vehicle from City, the time a journey takes is not used it is simply the mileage (additional waiting time at a stop off is charged at 20 pence per minute).

A ‘Fare Calculator’ is not a meter, it does not charge you like a black cab. It simply uses GPS to work out the distance you have travelled which is a lot more accurate than the mileage clock! (Even tyre pressure can alter the distance clocked).

The ‘Fare Calculator’ will simply work out the distance you have travelled for the journey and displays it to the customer, identical to what City use at the moment. It simply doesn't allow any human interaction to calculate the distance travelled. When we rolled it out in Leeds it worked brilliantly, people who travelled the same journey route always got charged the same. It did not allow drivers to get creative!

So in City’s case, when you get into the taxi £3.80 will be displayed, (which is inclusive of the first mile) it will then go up 65 pence per half mile after that.

You sure you don't work for City Mr Morris? :hihi:

Cheers for the bullet points but you mysteriously seemed to have failed to find any negatives from the drivers point of view, put it this way, I know three drivers that have had issues when the GPS signal is lost and it doesn't "re-calculate" the mileage, you stated that it does but in these cases it didn't.

Also as BonAccord said messing with the meter will be very time consuming what will happen at Eid/Ramadan and end of the months scenario? people are going to be waiting longer due to drivers not clearing "as soon" as they get on plot.

By the way, I don't mean clearing early I mean as soon as they get on plot.

Whether you term it as a fare calculator or not it's still a meter it's just not the same as hackneys, but it's still a meter it even states a meter on the data head!

The unit takes the point from when the GPS is lost to the point it is found and calculates the distance travelled, therefore keeping the mileage costs accurate.

lol, just noticed in your profile BonAccord, it says occupation as - Dole4Eva - you should become a Taxi Driver and prove your driver friends wrong ;-)

What and join the list of nearly 1000 drivers and waiting hours for work? Naaa but thanks for the consideration, I only have one leg anyway so i'd be a terrible driver.

The ‘Fare Calculator’ will simply work out the distance you have travelled for the journey and displays it to the customer, identical to what City use at the moment. It simply doesn’t allow any human interaction to calculate the distance travelled. When we rolled it out in Leeds it worked brilliantly, people who travelled the same journey route always got charged the same. It did not allow drivers to get creative!

I'm all in favour of providing a better service and help by cutting out the 'creative fare' but can you now perhaps put forward a few negatives for the drivers? for example; much more messing about and looking at the meter can only increase the chance of an accident, I know you shouldn't but you know and I know it will happen, therefore much more a possibility of an accident.

I rarely use taxis these days, but when i was more youthful I spent every Friday and Saturday night, plus the rest of the week if I could afford it, ingesting volumes of alcohol and kebab that would surely kill a man 25 years older as I now am. At the end of each night, I usually found myself flagging down one of the two taxis my vision was now seeing. Whether or not the vehicle was equipped with a meter or not would be irrelevant. Apart from being unable to focus on any rapidly increasing L.E.D. readout, I was simply happy to be off the freezing cold streets and on my merry way home. No matter how expensive the journey was I almost always ended up volunteering an extra couple of pounds of my hard earned cash as a tip - even though the driver was often some moronic bigot with more chips on his shoulders than I narrowly avoided vomiting onto his back seat.

My point is, a consumer making a choice of which company to use may apply different criteria at 23.00hrs than at other times - meters or no meters. I'm fairly sure the owners of taxi companies will know this. I'm no expert but I could guess that many more people use taxis at or around closing time than any other time of day.

Just use Excel,they are reliable & a bit cheaper.:loopy: