City taxis installing meters in saloon cars

FROM CITY TAXIS.

Please may we assure you that CITY Taxis are NOT installing METERS within their Private Hire Vehicles. The system we currently use has a FARE CALCULATOR integrated within the equipment. Until now the FARE CALCULATOR has not been used, currently the drivers use a pricing card & their odometers. However due to months of communication with other Major Taxi companies across the UK, who have found it to be very beneficial to both customer & driver, it has been decided to turn them on in our Taxis. These FARE CALCULATORS will only be used on pre-booked Taxis on our 0114 2393939 number.

The major benefit to the customer is that it takes the risk out of “Overcharging”. I think everyone may have had an experience of being overcharged, in the same breath under charged too & that is in many cities. Extensive testing of the system which is tracked by GPS has proved very accurate. Please note unlike Hackney Carriage METERS the fare calculator will only charge for mileage undertaken and wont charge for waiting time due to traffic etc. Drivers will still however have the facility to charge customers waiting time when necessary. CITY Taxis Private Hire Vehicles pre-booked FARES are 1 mile £3.80 - 5 miles £9.00 - 10 miles £15.50 - 15 miles £22.00. Hackney Carriages are 1 mile - £4.00 - 5 miles £10.10 – 10 miles £17.80 – 15 miles £27.10 + waiting time during traffic or delays.

Hi

Are you from City Taxi, please? I called City Taxi today. The telephone operator told me that only the black cabs use the meters, not the saloon cars.

Hi

Are you from City Taxi, please? I called City Taxi today. The telephone operator told me that only the black cabs use the meters, not the saloon cars.

as i read it that is what it says?

But where is the original news from about saloon car meter?

i am nothing to do with city but i think some people got there wires crossed abit and interpreted it as saloon taxis where having black cab style meters in

to be fair I use network anyway as they are cheaper than city :)

Hi

The DataHead that is already in the car has a facility that can calculate the fare in view of the customer, it's not really like the Black cab meters because they have to be calibrated by the council.

The new system will get launced at the end of November, however it does act like a meter and it looks like a meter and in all perpose is a meter HOWEVER it's not a meter that is regulated by the council otherwise there would be an argument that P/H cars could be classed as a Hackney carrage and therefore pick flags up.

The DataHead that is already in the car has a facility that can calculate the fare in view of the customer, it's not really like the Black cab meters because they have to be calibrated by the council.

The new system will get launced at the end of November, however it does act like a meter and it looks like a meter and in all perpose is a meter HOWEVER it's not a meter that is regulated by the council otherwise there would be an argument that P/H cars could be classed as a Hackney carrage and therefore pick flags up.

How will waiting time be calculated? For wait and returns etc

How will waiting time be calculated? For wait and returns etc

You will be able to manually input waiting time in as an "extra"- lets say it's £1.00 you just input it however this will not be displayed on the end fare figure, it will just be displayed in the small extra section that the customer won't be able to see properly.

It's going to be confusing to the customer and will create yet more arguments because the end fare figure will say less.

Can you Imagine trying to explain this to someone who's sunk ten pints? :hihi:

It could be improved in terms of the waiting time input changing the big end-of-fare figure, this IMO would make it more easy for the customers and take the heat off the driver.

would imagine looks like a monopoly to me :)

Try using your imagination a bit more.

mo·nop·o·ly/məˈnäpəlē/

Noun:

The exclusive possession or control of the supply or trade in a commodity or service.

Mono means "one".

mono- or mon-

pref.

1. One; single; alone: monomorphic.

So if we put together the concepts of "exclusive" and "singular" we get....?

(Take your time. Stop if it starts to hurt.)

If City were the only cab firm operating in Sheffield (including black cabs), then they would have a monopoly.

to be fair I use network anyway as they are cheaper than city :)

What is the cost of a Network Taxi please..? for example 1 mile & 2 miles..?

some rotherham private hire cabs have the meters fitted, i prefer these to the ones without, if i get a taxi from thorpe hesley to sheffield town centre its normally around £9, the same journey back in a city taxi will be double that.

i dont know if rotherham private hire taxis work on a different rate per mile?