Energy companies increasing monthly payment when you're already in credit

I too was fed up with my energy company doing this. I switched to "Utility Warehouse" and I read my own meter every month, send them the readings on line, and then get a bill for the exact amount of energy I have used. Both gas and electric on the same bill too - no messing. I pay a lot less too than i have been paying the other company.

But, if you don't want to switch companies, just tell them you are not going to pay the extra, as you are in credit! - if they don't like it, tell them to lump it!

We are also with Utility Warehouse and they advised that they were increasing our electric bill by over £10 per month even though we were over £100 in credit at the time. Gas to remain the same.

I just e-mailed them with the up-to-date readings for both gas and electric and told them that I didn't agree with their increase with our account being in credit.

They have now decreased our payments to the original amount with the agreement of both parties that should our electric bill increase significantly then we will increase our monthly payments AT THAT TIME!

There was no fuss or bother.

I would recommend Utility Warehouse to anyone as their customer service is excellent - which seems more than some of the big name utility companies.

I'm with eon and yesterday got a new bill automatically after putting my meter readings in and using £15 of tesco vouchers for £22.50 off the bill. They're reducing my dd from 51 to 42 a month so I dont pay too much, great stuff ! Amazed it all happens by itself :)

1) You'll be in credit at this time of the year, because you build that credit up over spring/summer to help pay for the excessive usage over autumn and winter.

2) Your direct debits are being increased by around 20% as your unit prices for energy have been increased by around 20% (maybe more if you've just come off a plan).

This is how variable direct debits work, and they usually get it spot on over a 12 month period. And if you don't like it, either switch providers or move to quarterly billing and don't bother with the 'direct debit' discount.

We were with Eon until recently, and they were pretty good with ensuring we were pretty much zero balance each annual review. And if they owed you money, you could request it paying back at any time. Shame their current tariffs suck as we'd have stayed with them.

Guest sibon

We were with Eon until recently, and they were pretty good with ensuring we were pretty much zero balance each annual review. And if they owed you money, you could request it paying back at any time. Shame their current tariffs suck as we'd have stayed with them.

You are the lucky one. I've been with Eon for the last four years. I've been constantly in credit, by a constantly increasing amount. They currently owe me over £600 and won't give it back.

I've switched.

£774-00 in credit after 1 year!!!! how much is your direct debit???:confused::confused:

It is a long story but I ended up paying £150-00 a month to catch up on what I owed them due to there being a ****-up in the switch over from the other server.I owed them £136-00 three bills ago,then I was in credit £720-00 the bill before this( which they said they would sort out)and now this.Do you think they will give me interest on it?:hihi:

Prices are going to increase. Look at 10% year-on-year increase. (More if you have to pay to subsidise 'home grown' solar panel electricity-

Who do you think (ultimately) pays the feedback tariff?

We pay £100/month for gas and electric with BGas and they want to reduce my payments. We have a two bed semi with an electrically heated conservatory.