Anyone do grunge/altered art/vintage cards?

I'm trying to get away from doing modern or minimalist greetings cards and have been looking at designs which seem to be called grunge, altered art or vintage. Are there any guide lines to these styles to help me along? Do they look better done in the same colour or similar tones?

Do people tend to do them fairly flat or three dimensional? I need to buy some more stamps but I have a few in mind. I have a few other bits too but I might buy some Tim Holtz bits for my sizzix machine.

I'm trying to get away from doing modern or minimalist greetings cards and have been looking at designs which seem to be called grunge, altered art or vintage. Are there any guide lines to these styles to help me along? Do they look better done in the same colour or similar tones?

Do people tend to do them fairly flat or three dimensional? I need to buy some more stamps but I have a few in mind. I have a few other bits too but I might buy some Tim Holtz bits for my sizzix machine.

Hi pop along to Busy Bees Crafts we do a craft session on a thursday evening on such a thing. There is also samples of cards made in the store.

I've just done a Google search for you. Are you a craft shop near Woodhouse?

Theres a great book that sheffield libraries have (chapeltown library have a copy, its next to me now!) Called 'layered, tattered and stitched' by ruth rae. it has LOADS of fab ideas with layers, printing onto old ohp acetates then burning the edges, using found objects, dying stuff with tea bags etc. definitely stuff that could be used in card making.

Theres a great book that sheffield libraries have (chapeltown library have a copy, its next to me now!) Called 'layered, tattered and stitched' by ruth rae. it has LOADS of fab ideas with layers, printing onto old ohp acetates then burning the edges, using found objects, dying stuff with tea bags etc. definitely stuff that could be used in card making.

Have you read the book yet? Is it worth buying?

soz for delay replying - i don't tend to buy books like that as i never properly feel i get my money's worth, however i did think about buying that one. I think its really good and got lots of different techniques and projects using paper, fabric, computer printer, ink stamps, random objects etc. You could always request the library copy (i've taken it back!) and see what you think.

Good luck with your crafty projects.

I've just done a Google search for you. Are you a craft shop near Woodhouse?

Hi yes we are the craft shop in Woodhouse. We are on the 52 and 25 bus route. If you need directions or any info please feel free to contact the shop on 0114 2540234

Hi yes we are the craft shop in Woodhouse. We are on the 52 and 25 bus route. If you need directions or any info please feel free to contact the shop on 0114 2540234

Its okay, I drive. I will have a look at the map and work out where you are. I will come in when I have time. My hubby seems interested in the altered art so I will try and persuade him to come too. He's not into card making but he has a good eye for some of the arts and crafts I've done.

I've made my first card in this style but I'm not sure what you would think to it.

Hi if you want to join the busy bees craft group on facebook we will be updating the page tomorrow with all the cards made in this style and others over the last couple of months. Hope this helps.

Hi Sheryl666

I've just been to the shop and your Mum has spent a while explaining different techniques to me. I've purchased a some stamps to have a 'play' with. I purchased Sarahs Choice, Wild Meadow and Love is by IndigoBlu and a music one by Kanban.

I would like to know when your next dabble day is, especially if you are doing a grunge type class.

Thanks

Cheryl

Hi the next dabble day is Saturday 21st January. I will up date nearer the time as to what each project is going to involve. Also the next project workshop class is on tuesday 3rd january this is more mixed media based and we are doing the craft apron using different techniques including ink/ wax transfers and stitching. Just pm me if you would like to book a place.