Occupy Sheffield Cathedral

do you think the protesters deserve to stay ?  

599 members have voted

1. 1. do you think the protesters deserve to stay ?

• yes, and they should be encouraged to stay
    • no, and they should be evicted by the church

I have attempted to address the fatal flaw in this argument several times already.

OS are costing the Cathedral money while they are there. The Cathedral cannot afford this. Occupy are refusing to leave, so the Cathedral have no option but to pursue this through the courts. OS have systematically attacked the Cathedral, so (as stated by yourself earlier in this thread) the Cathedral has not benefitted from the publicity.

I know money is a grubby little topic, and the world would be a much better place without it, but right now it is still very much needed to provide desperately needed actual, tangible real help for actual, real people. The time and means taken up by OS, and their attacks on the funding of the Archer Project, are doing real harm to long-standing work.

Do OS (not Occupy as a whole, OS at the Cathedral) really feel entitled to do this harm?

I can't see any flaws to co-operating rather than being in conflict, here, only advantages.

But the bad publicity is the cathedral's own doing, by its own reaction to the occupation, surely?

I find it sad that people who claim to support a movement that wants to oppose injustice are unable/unwilling to accept that their chosen site is doing great harm to their cause and to very important ongoing work for people in great need.

it is not doing great harm, if anything its entertaining the homeless people who a re always around the cathedral after they have been chucked out after lunch!.

It surprises me how strongly they deny being members when they obviously feel so strongly in their support.

If not members how can they be sure they are representing the true views and agenda of Occupy.

As you say Molly it has been interesting.

I deny being a member simply cos it's true :)

I can't be sure I'm representing the "true views and agenda of Occupy", but, that was never my intention and, I've made that clear as I've posted: I present only my thoughts and opinions on the issues.

I have, however, met and spoke to several of the people at the camp, and, am in broad agreement with much of what they've said.

It's worth pointing out though, that Occupy is not fixated on having a fixed political agenda- it welcomes people of all political persuasions, including many who are only interested in conventional politics the extent that they reject it, on the grounds of it's endemic corruption.

It's at least as much about a new way of people living with each other, and dealing with each other, as it is about politics.

might be their decision but whos money is it???. not the deans, and i again state that what about the church were the roof is falling in? i think its in Huddersfield, now i know what your gong to say its a different dioceses. so we cant possible give money to a fellow church whos need is in far excesses of our need to put some wheel chair access ramps in. total Hippocrites

Presumably the Dean has been given responsibility and accountability to use the funds as he seems fit after research.

Maybe further research into problems with the Huddersfield ? church would explain their dilemna.

A result of crime the leaking roof. Insurance will pay some if not all the repair costs and the unknown shortfall will be made up by the congregations fundraising. Maybe the congregarion want to do something for their own church in the nature of belonging and team building.

Edited by harvey19

isnt the church one big happy family. where is the problem ?? help thay brother and all that

So the non members are not accountable or responsible for Occupys agenda but support it .

I'm not sure what point you are trying to make.

It's not a case of 'denying' being a member. I'd be very happy and proud to call myself a member, but unfortunately, I have done nothing to earn the title/membership, as I have not been occupying. I have supported by going down and giving my support to the occupiers verbally.

I have never professed to represent OS, in fact, always the opposite.

that's a good point that applies to me also- much as I've posted a lot on here in support of what Occupy are doing, I'm fully aware that they are, unlike me, are actually doing something, camping out in the city center in freezing winter conditions, under constant threat of harrassment by some elements of the public.

sorry but you seem to be focusing on one particular case. what about the other 49.999 cases? i am sure they are all not receiving that amount of benefit. but if the reforms goes through they will all be plunged into a nightmare of having to either move, find the money somehow and i am scared of how they will find money. no wonder crimes rise when these things are rolled out. or find a job. which i agree might be easier down there than here!. then what about the children? remember its families we are dealing with. what will happen to them?

No Molly your wrong If 49k people are affected by this change that means that they HAVE to be receiving more than 26k per year in housing benefit as NOBODY receiving less than that will be affected which for e means if there are 50k people affected that means they are getting over 26k per year and if so this should certainly be reduced ...

Neither you nor any off your cohorts have yet answered the question

How much in total do you think should be a limit on benefits ?

20k 50k 100k it's a simple question.......

I know money is a grubby little topic, and the world would be a much better place without it, but right now it is still very much needed to provide desperately needed actual, tangible real help for actual, real people. The time and means taken up by OS, and their attacks on the funding of the Archer Project, are doing real harm to long-standing work.

Do OS (not Occupy as a whole, OS at the Cathedral) really feel entitled to do this harm?

see previous post,

Are you objecting to building work being carried out? Or are you cross because building work is not done? Why would any building work justify OS in diverting Cathedral funds?

Are you objecting to building work being carried out? Or are you cross because building work is not done? Why would any building work justify OS in diverting Cathedral funds?

http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/9467345.Historic_church_damaged_as_metal_raid_lets_in_rain/

while this level of need exists. then yes i am against it, why use 4 million, THATS 4 MILLION POUNDS. when it is badly need by a church which is in immanent danger. why?

You clearly don't understand what good manners are. Manners are not about you, manners are about your effect on others.

Once again Tony- we disagree. To me, manners are about being polite and treating people with respect.

For example, a lady with facial piercings may walk down a street minding her own business and being perfectly polite and respectful to passers-by, yet, a minority will be offended simply because they have a prejudice against facial piercings.