Occupy Sheffield Cathedral

do you think the protesters deserve to stay ?  

599 members have voted

1. 1. do you think the protesters deserve to stay ?

• yes, and they should be encouraged to stay
    • no, and they should be evicted by the church

Hi Robin :wave:. Who are you please? With respect to occupy and your use of the words "our field manual". Whose field manual?

whose field manual? that sums it up -

who am I bewildered by the way that occupy attracts some disorganised people

& now the other obvious tactic fill the threat with posts so my disapproval is buried

Without wishing to stir anything up, as I have been working away for a few weeks prior to Christmas, the "Occupy Sheffield" camp is linked to the "Occupy London" and "Wall Street" ones, correct? Protesting against banks? Please don't jump down my throat, I knew there was something happening at the Cathedral, the Salvation Army Citadel (Pinstone Street area?) is new to me, these are the same people though, correct?

This should answer your questions Grappler https://occupysheffield.org/2011/12/29/statement-28th-december-2011/

& now the other obvious tactic fill the threat with posts so my disapproval is buried

Which working groups are you in Robin?

sorry, didn't quite catch that.....who did you say you were again? ;)

Nah. I am bored of this.

Somebody give me a nudge if there are any interesting or significant developments.

Loving your debating efforts on the Occupy London Forum by the way.

Edited by JoeWasEre

The Occupy folks have "BIG PLANS" for the building. But they will be nothing more that a minor footnote all too soon.

Occupy have big plans for the Cathedral??? Is that their next "squat" then?

Occupy Sheffield's response to the latest press statement from Sheffield Cathedral:

Happy New Year! We have big plans for 2012 and so do you. We hope that those plans can co-exist peacefully. There have been and continue to be headwinds, both natural and man-made, but we believe that the issues we are attempting to highlight are still a very real problem in our society. We continue to be actively engaged in the cause and feel it would send the wrong message if we were to pack up and go at this point.

The situation remains the same; we will continue protesting as long as the financial structures which caused this economic crisis remain. We cannot relent while the corporations continue to exert undue influence on politicians and while a tiny minority of the global population wields a frankly hideous proportion of wealth. It is not a love of camping which causes us to occupy your forecourt in the depth of winter. We are here because the scale and depth of this crisis demands that we make a stand!

It has always been important to us to be good and responsive neighbours – and although on some matters we have agreed to disagree, we are proud that in the last 2 months, there have been no on-camp incidents with any serious negative consequences. However, once the current storms have passed, it is our intention to rearrange the camp and create a more open and welcoming environment for the general public. This will involve reducing the number of smaller tents and rearranging the larger marquee to create a more public area.

As you will be aware, we are hosting the 3rd National Occupy Conference on 21st/22nd January, and it is our intention to use the Citadel of Hope as the main conference space. There may be a small increase in the number of tents on this weekend as we will be accommodating some of the conference delegates at the camp. Please be in no doubt that safety of all our visitors, and yours, has been and remains paramount.

So basically, your response is sod off, we are so arrogant we feel we have the right to stay

Just take the hint, NOONE wants you camping there. You want to protest? Fine, do so, but get rid of the tents, after all you dont NEED tents to protest.

They do need the tents because they mask the lack of real activity within their protest - twenty tents at a protest does not equate to twenty people protesting.

Whereas, if they had committed to a programme of daily 1 hour spot protests in different but relevant locations they would foster a greater understanding among those that support the broad aims, the people that they are protesting against. It would be effective but it also exposes the Occupy Sheffield (or anywhere else) protesters to the reality of their position, whatever that turns out to be.

^^^ this is the sort of advice that I charge people for. But I fear that because of their lack of vision and leadership their protest has little future now, and that it has and will continue to do more harm than good.

They do need the tents because they mask the lack of real activity within their protest - twenty tents at a protest does not equate to twenty people protesting.

Whereas, if they had committed to a programme of daily 1 hour spot protests in different but relevant locations they would foster a greater understanding among those that support the broad aims, the people that they are protesting against. It would be effective but it also exposes the Occupy Sheffield (or anywhere else) protesters to the reality of their position, whatever that turns out to be.

^^^ this is the sort of advice that I charge people for. But I fear that because of their lack of vision and leadership their protest has little future now, and that it has and will continue to do more harm than good.

If they did that (highlighted) they would be told "get a job!"

I certainly couldn't commit to a 1 hour protest in the city centre every day (or any weekday come to that)

I do know that many in and around Occupy Sheffield also have jobs and I imagine would be in a similar situation - even if they were lucky enough to have a whole hour's lunch break that doesn't include travelling time nor does it account for people having different timed breaks

So I hope you don't charge much for your advice...

I suppose the tents allow for a presence of sorts in a person's absence given that they are in a "no win" situation in the eyes of some - if they leave the tents to go to their gainful employment they are hypocrites not protesting "properly" and not showing commitment. If they leave their jobs thet are then idle layabouts who ought to get a job instead of protesting.

By refusing the Cathedral's request to move I think Occupy are making a big mistake.

The shock value of the camp's location has passed and most people even if agreeing with the reasons for the protest respect the church and see Occupys actions now as being disrespectfull towards an organisation Occupy are not protesting about.Therebye distracting from the reason for the camp.

I would have thought a more productive method of getting Occupy's message across to a wider audience would be to move the site and interact with a new set of people.

How many people have been influenced to join the camp because of the present location ?