Occupy Sheffield Cathedral

do you think the protesters deserve to stay ?  

599 members have voted

1. 1. do you think the protesters deserve to stay ?

• yes, and they should be encouraged to stay
    • no, and they should be evicted by the church

There have been many occupations in the form of UKUncut in front of banks & big business tax avoiders. But the law is on their side, and the protesters are arrested. Even though they are peaceful occupations and always leave after a couple of hours. This may not have happened in Sheffield, as our authorities are head and shoulders above most cities, especially London.

The protesters are at the Church, because this is supposedly the place where they are safe, and the Church should be speaking out more forcefully against the banks and the Establishment. The Church has a hard choice here. Stick up for the people whom you are supposed to represent & help. Or dont, and have the protesters arrested and then know you are over.... Ingenious.

I would hazard a guess that the vast majority of protesters don't believe in the church. I think you'll find that Jesus does not choose between the middle class liberal protester and the chairman on a bank. Why should the church be backing them? Given that it tries not to interfere in politics?

And the protesters are using the church, an institution that they don;t like, support or believe in, to protect them.

BRAVE

And the protesters are using the church, an institution that they don;t like, support or believe in, to protect them.

BRAVE

How do you know that?

for all protesting,rioting ,striking going off the government will not stop the cuts we might as well just get on with it and the banks can still laugh at us and what makes me laugh is the government giving money away when were in trouble cameron get your head out of your a...

not really, just the most people see the futility of what they are doing

So if you think it is futile why not quietly pass on and let them continue doing no real harm to you; rather than vilify them just because..well..you're probably not sure why

(This is not directed solely to andyofborg, more an open reply to those vociferous in their condemnation

As for the location, the occupy group I understand have had dialogue with the local authorities and police and have (which I thought would PLEASE the "Sceptrum of lex supremus totus alius" brigade but apparently not) decided to comply with requests not to camp in the "platinum zones" and especially not Barkers Pool (obvious reasons for next Sunday!) or the Town Hall

Why should the church be backing them? Given that it tries not to interfere in politics?

So the 26 CoE bishops in the House Of Lords don't take their seats?

is there any meaningful debate on here?

its normally just a theyre scum shouted at full volume at anybody that doesnt fit in to their scheme of things

after a while on here you will get know the people with sensible ideas, and that they are very willing to have a open discussion , then you have people who just want to have a argument, no matter on what subject. you just have to put up with thoses:rant::rant:

Occupy is in thousands of cities all over the world. Checkout http://www.occupytogether.org/

Sure, but why bother in Sheffield?

Its not as if our Capitalist Oppressors have ever taken the blindest bit of notice about anything else that happens here over the generations.

Completely disingenuous for those of no religion to be hiding behind the respectability of the church too

How do you know that?

lets call it an educated guess. Not many liberals attend church.

So if you think it is futile why not quietly pass on and let them continue doing no real harm to you; rather than vilify them just because..well..you're probably not sure why

(This is not directed solely to andyofborg, more an open reply to those vociferous in their condemnation

As for the location, the occupy group I understand have had dialogue with the local authorities and police and have (which I thought would PLEASE the "Sceptrum of lex supremus totus alius" brigade but apparently not) decided to comply with requests not to camp in the "platinum zones" and especially not Barkers Pool (obvious reasons for next Sunday!) or the Town Hall

oh i dooo hope they dont park their sorry asssses near my business or i may be forced to have numerous pavement washing sessions on an hourly basis :hihi::hihi:

How many people are there involved in this event outside the cathedral ?

lets call it an educated guess. Not many liberals attend church.

not many of anybody attend church