Occupy Sheffield Cathedral

do you think the protesters deserve to stay ?  

599 members have voted

1. 1. do you think the protesters deserve to stay ?

• yes, and they should be encouraged to stay
    • no, and they should be evicted by the church

There were more cameras than people when I passed by this afternoon - Occupy Sheffield (b&w) - I'm not sure what the Church/ Cathedral have done to "wrong" them (other than its quite a public place to be noticed, and the Church are less likely to hire Rent-A-Thug to throw them off the property...

Doing it in London and New York made sense, as thats where much Global Capital is based. But, Sheffield? Not known for having thousands of Bankers...

Occupy is in thousands of cities all over the world. Checkout http://www.occupytogether.org/

If your really interested in what are they about. I suggest you read their press releases : http://occupylsx.org/?cat=53

I plan to go down every day next week, point at them and openly laugh out loud, as loud as I can. They make me laugh. Come along if you want, join me. It will be fun.

I reckon a few Saturday night drunks might see that lot off, occupy my outside toilet might be more appropriate looking at the numbers :D

If the protest is against the banks, why are they not outside the Lloyds Bank offices in Sheffield? These can be found on Furnival Road, S4 7RD. I would have thought an Industrial Estate in between Burngreave and Attercliffe would have an ideal location!

There have been many occupations in the form of UKUncut in front of banks & big business tax avoiders. But the law is on their side, and the protesters are arrested. Even though they are peaceful occupations and always leave after a couple of hours. This may not have happened in Sheffield, as our authorities are head and shoulders above most cities, especially London.

The protesters are at the Church, because this is supposedly the place where they are safe, and the Church should be speaking out more forcefully against the banks and the Establishment. The Church has a hard choice here. Stick up for the people whom you are supposed to represent & help. Or dont, and have the protesters arrested and then know you are over.... Ingenious.

There have been many occupations in the form of UKUncut in front of banks & big business tax avoiders. But the law is on their side, and the protesters are arrested. Even though they are peaceful occupations and always leave after a couple of hours. This may not have happened in Sheffield, as our authorities are head and shoulders above most cities, especially London.

The protesters are at the Church, because this is supposedly the place where they are safe, and the Church should be speaking out more forcefully against the banks and the Establishment. The Church has a hard choice here. Stick up for the people whom you are supposed to represent & help. Or dont, and have the protesters arrested and then know you are over.... Ingenious.

Not really ingenious.

Cue all the reactionary responses based around the use, or lack of use of soap.

How Original:rolleyes:

So let's get this right.....People with convictions who take the trouble to demonstrate their feelings do not use soap

and those who don't have any convictions about anything in partciular are always immaculately washed

Seems like a constructive platform for a meaningful debate

Good point-some of these cleaner types frequently get their brains washed,hence the vacuous comments.If you mention people with convictions they will think you mean the prison population:hihi:

Stick up for the people whom you are supposed to represent & help.

why do you think the church represent these people?

I plan to go down every day next week, point at them and openly laugh out loud, as loud as I can. They make me laugh. Come along if you want, join me. It will be fun.

I am sure they will be equally amused by your presence.

There were more cameras than people when I passed by this afternoon - Occupy Sheffield (b&w) - I'm not sure what the Church/ Cathedral have done to "wrong" them (other than its quite a public place to be noticed, and the Church are less likely to hire Rent-A-Thug to throw them off the property...

Doing it in London and New York made sense, as thats where much Global Capital is based. But, Sheffield? Not known for having thousands of Bankers...

Plenty of bankers on the forum judging by some of the comments.

Seems like a constructive platform for a meaningful debate

is there any meaningful debate on here?

its normally just a theyre scum shouted at full volume at anybody that doesnt fit in to their scheme of things

Plenty of bankers on the forum judging by some of the comments.

not really, just the most people see the futility of what they are doing

not really, just the most people see the futility of what they are doing

Either that or they have no opinion so a good slagging off seems reasonable.