Occupy Sheffield Cathedral

do you think the protesters deserve to stay ?  

599 members have voted

1. 1. do you think the protesters deserve to stay ?

• yes, and they should be encouraged to stay
    • no, and they should be evicted by the church

The church has now started legal action against the bunch of fools and they still won't admit they're the uninvited guest at the party, no one wants to speak to and everyone wants to leave.

I really hope they get slapped with costs for the hearing and, hopefully, damages to be paid to the church.

They may just learn they're in the real world if that happens.

I've spoken to them and I was very impressed.

I don't want them to leave.

It looks like, from the poll on this thread alone, that there are other people who are of the same opinion as myself.

This is in black and white at the top of this thread, for ALL to see.

And you call the occupiers, a 'bunch of fools'.

With regard to 'damages to the church', as far as I can see, it looks as if the only apparent damage done is to the cathedral's reputation and standing amongst Sheffielders and the wider population. I suppose that is down to the occupiers though, as without them being present, many of us would not know where the cathedral stands but thanks to them, we have had our eyes opened.

To me, and many others, the politicians suit has become a symbol of the deciet and corruption that underlies modern conventional politics.

Absolutely! Spot on!

It's almost as transparent and sickening as their eagerness to be seen wearing a poppy for a week of the year, when politicians of all persuasions have treated members of our armed services like something they have stepped in for years on end.

No one 'allows' the people who speak in support of them to 'look so alternative' :)

They look the way they want to look and Occupy, being based on the fundamental principle that individuals are free to be individuals, obviously wouldn't want to apply pressure.

Yes- some people are going to be prejudiced and assume that anyone not wearing a suit cannot possibly be talking sense- that's their problem, for them, if they wish, to deal with.

Occupy want the support of people who can be open-minded, and base their opinions on facts and rational debate- not on what a person is wearing.

TV is full of politicians wearing suits who are proven liars, who say one thing to get support, then do the opposite.

I have no interest in entering politics, but, if I did, i would make it a pledge, that I would never wear a suit- if I got elected, or appeared on TV, i would not wear a suit.

To me, and many others, the politicians suit has become a symbol of the deciet and corruption that underlies modern conventional politics.

That's not to say I'd necessarily dismiss a politician cos they're suit wearers, i can accept that some people just like suits.

It's more the issue that people are judged on the initial visual impression although I don't allow my impressions to be based on this. So a guy or gal in dirty, brightly coloured clothing with the tea cosy woollen cap is not going to generate a good public image.

I'm not a great fan of suits and so only wear one when the situation would seem to require it but sadly when being a public spokesperson, a tidy appearance is beneficial.

I have no interest in entering politics, but, if I did, i would make it a pledge, that I would never wear a suit- if I got elected, or appeared on TV, i would not wear a suit.

How strange.

Lenin wore a suit when addressing workers meetings during the Russian Revolution.

Nye Bevan wore one when giving speeches to Welsh miners.

So you'd be happier to be listening to a fascist in a T shirt and jeans?

It's more the issue that people are judged on the initial visual impression although I don't allow my impressions to be based on this. So a guy or gal in dirty, brightly coloured clothing with the tea cosy woollen cap is not going to generate a good public image.

I'm not a great fan of suits and so only wear one when the situation would seem to require it but sadly when being a public spokesperson, a tidy appearance is beneficial.

In your eyes.

Others see things differntly- I for example, would tend to be more impressed by bright clothes, a tea cosy hat and an air of individuality, than yet another suit wearing clone.

Purely because I've observed that most suit wearing politicians tend to be insincere and untrustworthy.

Fine words, but the reality is that it is YOUR problem if people decide what they think of you by your appearance.

It's about having respect for the listener / viewer, not about expecting them to have respect for you regardless. You may not like the idea that you should have good manners, it but that is the simple fact that people expect it of you.

If you don't take yourself seriously, why should we?

Manners have nothing to do with it- not wearing a suit is not ill-mannered!

How strange.

Lenin wore a suit when addressing workers meetings during the Russian Revolution.

And Mahatma Gandhi wore a loin cloth and sandals when he met King George V.

Where the hell did that come from? That's one hell of a jump.:hihi:

How strange.

Lenin's hardly an example of a sincere, trustworthy, decent human being though, is he?

Don't know why you're bringing in a "fascist in a T shirt and jeans" either.

Neither would wearing a non-suit automatically gain my respect- that comes with their words, backed up by consistent good actions and keeping those words.

Lenin's hardly an example of a sincere, trustworthy, decent human being though, is he?

Don't know why you're bringing in a "fascist in a T shirt and jeans" either.

Neither would wearing a non-suit automatically gain my respect- that comes with their words, backed up by consistent good actions and keeping those words.

OWD

You seem to have neglected to answer my question - if it's not an anti capitalist demonstration what is it demonstrating against?

I have already asked this twice and have yet to receice an answer.

...many of us would not know where the cathedral stands but thanks to them, we have had our eyes opened.

Please elaborate. I am entirely unclear about the contribution made by OS.

Imagine someone is physically blocking your place of work. You have to navigate around them for every single daily tasks. You are legally reponsible for any damage they might do to themselves or others. They tell you that they are there to stay. What would you do?

OS appear to be of the opinion that the Cathedral should be grateful that OS are "willing to talk". Put yourself in the position of the Cathedral: Would you see any point in going over the same ground again and again?

OS are perpetuating and compounding the mistake they made with their choice of venue. Any loss of credibility is entirely on the side of OS and their deplorable tactics.

Do you buy into the self-serving cry "The Cathedral are supposed to be Christians, so that must mean they should support us unconditionally because we claim to be speaking for the greater good" or believe the vile attacks on the Dean?

Yes - I'd judge people on that regardless of whether they were a non - suit wearer or a suit wearer. It's as silly to dismiss suit wearers off hand as it is to dismiss other forms of dress.

With regard to 'damages to the church', as far as I can see, it looks as if the only apparent damage done is to the cathedral's reputation and standing amongst Sheffielders and the wider population. I suppose that is down to the occupiers though, as without them being present, many of us would not know where the cathedral stands but thanks to them, we have had our eyes opened.

I can understand you would like to see it that way but can you actually bring forth any proof for your assertions