Occupy Sheffield Cathedral

do you think the protesters deserve to stay ?  

599 members have voted

1. 1. do you think the protesters deserve to stay ?

• yes, and they should be encouraged to stay
    • no, and they should be evicted by the church

My father was in France before D-day. He was shot and wounded. He never wore a mask. Niether did I when I was an active protestor and I can't remember seeing any others who did. I would be ashamed if a child of mine did not have the courage, possibly to suffer for their ideals.

I agree. Amongst other things I was very active against the National Front in the 70's - this being a time when they could muster several thousand for a march. Nobody saw the need to wear a mask.

ps - I also think the film V for Vendetta is poor.

OK, I'll correct you- it's not an anti-capitalist demonstration.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt as I forgot to quote your message, if it's not an anti capitalist demo what is it?

Occupy Sheffield started 2012 in determined fashion; unlike banks, parliament and many corporations we did not suspend activity or trading over Christmas and New Year. Instead we continued working for the many,expanding our Occupation and opening Sheffield’s Citadel of Hope.

The New Year has been a great time for us to take stock of how far we have grown during more than two months of Occupation. We established ourselves on Church St to challenge the local symbols of a global economy that is serving the interests of the few rather than the many:high street banks, tax avoiding retailers and the nearby international operations of a major financial

organisation. We feel the sheer amount of public engagement and media coverage we have received vindicates our decision to be here representing those in Sheffield who do not have a voice, who know that the power they have vested in politicians and corporations has been abused and turned against them. Unlike many other establishments in the city we extend a warm, hospitable welcome to all people who seek to challenge the way our world works, who wish to reject the misinformation and disinformation of media controlled by the wealthiest 1%, and the rhetoric of politicians. We

are a truly open forum where everyone can engage in intelligent and informed debate free from the influence of self-interested local and international corporate establishments, where everyone can propose and

contribute to solutions for the problems facing our age.

In the wider world of the early twenty first century,responsibilities are shirked and the burden of reparation is shifted to those who did not cause the crises we are facing. Occupy Sheffield have rejected this endemic thinking; instead we have established a community that works towards self-responsibility and reliance within a supportive environment of holistic and

collective responsibility, enabling each other to reach our potential with dignity and respect. We believe that by living in such a co-operative and compassionate way we are setting an example of how our society can work

and flourish when the needs of the many are met and surpassed.

We are defining a positive message of hope, an alternative to the shadow of fear most of the world is living under, a message that is reaching the city and

the world. Over 2000 Sheffield people have signed a petition supporting us; a counter petition received 4 signatures. In December 2011, Sheffield City Council approved a motion supporting our right to continued peaceful protest. We continue to receive the support of many other groups and individuals including The Sheffield Green Party , Sheffield Quakers, members of the congregation from Sheffield Cathedral, Positive Money, all trade unions in Sheffield, UK Uncut Sheffield, Women’s Institute of Peace and Freedom, Billy Bragg, Sheffield Live, Now Then Magazine, Sheffield Indy

Media, Alt-Sheff.org, Broomhill Labour Party, Heeley Ward Labour Party, Justice for All, Heeley City Farm, Paul Bloomfield MP, and people visiting and walking by the camp every day who agree with what we’re doing and offer support, many of whom work for major banks and corporations. Whilst we use existing, open and accountable avenues of bringing the concerns of the many to account, we believe those avenues are few and revealthe true limit ofwhat is often mistaken for ‘democracy’around our world. That’s why we are using more direct actions to reach those who need to have their voice

heard. By doing so we seek not only to inform and educate people about the problems facing our world but also to reveal the many solutions that stand up for equal rights and justice, against exploitation, corruption and corporate greed.

In January 2012 Sheffield’s Citadel of Hope will be welcoming people from around the UK to the national Occupy conference; we believe this will be a pivotalmoment in the fight for a fairer world, a world where currently those in whom we entrust our power are using the social disaster, the economic crisis they’ve created to shock and awe us into accepting actions that go against our better nature and conscience. If they bring anything to us it will be misery and fear for our futures. They can only treat us like this whilst we let

them; how much more we endure is up to us. We will not tolerate them ignoring us in favour of greed, arrogance and corruption. We can stand up to them as a city, as a nation and as a world, and show them that we are the

real power for change.

So when are you leaving the cathedrals churchyard?

All this smoke and no one seems to be pressing the protesters about the probable eviction order on its way.

The protesters are quoted as saying the church is unwilling to talk but they duck, dive and ignore the elephant in the room.

OK, I'll correct you- it's not an anti-capitalist demonstration.

Nope, it rapidly turned into an anti-cathedral demo as soon as it transpired that the cathedral wernt going to welcome them with open arms

The protesters are quoted as saying the church is unwilling to talk but they duck, dive and ignore the elephant in the room.

The church HAS spoken, its said GO, it has been saying that for 2 months now and its just the sheer bloody minded arrogance of half a dozen at most "protesters" that means the unwanted intrusion is still there

All this smoke and no one seems to be pressing the protesters about the probable eviction order on its way.

It would seem whenever this is brought up, or how they can justify the cost that this will involve for the cathedral, or anything else awkward like their recent admission that many of the tents are empty suddenlty a number of posters become very keen on discussing completely off topic issues such as housing benefit until such awkward questions are bounced off the page.

No one 'allows' the people who speak in support of them to 'look so alternative' :)

They look the way they want to look and Occupy, being based on the fundamental principle that individuals are free to be individuals, obviously wouldn't want to apply pressure.

Yes- some people are going to be prejudiced and assume that anyone not wearing a suit cannot possibly be talking sense- that's their problem, for them, if they wish, to deal with.

Occupy want the support of people who can be open-minded, and base their opinions on facts and rational debate- not on what a person is wearing.

TV is full of politicians wearing suits who are proven liars, who say one thing to get support, then do the opposite.

I have no interest in entering politics, but, if I did, i would make it a pledge, that I would never wear a suit- if I got elected, or appeared on TV, i would not wear a suit.

To me, and many others, the politicians suit has become a symbol of the deciet and corruption that underlies modern conventional politics.

That's not to say I'd necessarily dismiss a politician cos they're suit wearers, i can accept that some people just like suits.

Fine words, but the reality is that it is YOUR problem if people decide what they think of you by your appearance.

It's about having respect for the listener / viewer, not about expecting them to have respect for you regardless. You may not like the idea that you should have good manners, it but that is the simple fact that people expect it of you.

If you don't take yourself seriously, why should we?

I've never disputed those points in any way. It's when the arguments move away from that into the realms of weaker "Occupy ruined Xmas" type points that I've tended to get involved.

So you would agree that OS are in the wrong (place) as long as they stay at the Cathedral?

The church HAS spoken, its said GO, it has been saying that for 2 months now and its just the sheer bloody minded arrogance of half a dozen at most "protesters" that means the unwanted intrusion is still there

I think he was refering to the protesters as being unwilling to discuss moving on from the cathedral.

Better make sure all your doors and windows are locked,the 99% will soon be seeking accomodation ,eviction from the Cathedral on the way and just had the pleasure of seeing the eviction notices go up on the Citadel building.