Occupy Sheffield Cathedral

do you think the protesters deserve to stay ?  

599 members have voted

1. 1. do you think the protesters deserve to stay ?

• yes, and they should be encouraged to stay
    • no, and they should be evicted by the church

Then why do people keep coming back to it again and again? If it is neither useful or interesting, you have a very odd way of spending your time.

I know, I should be working, I think they call it procrastination. A couple of posts really doesn't take that long though & I was multitasking by drinking my mid morning cuppa at the same time.

You're talking about Sheffield Forum. Only the boring & pointless threads last that long before they're closed.

It's even beat the snow in 2009! - http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=532483

A 200 page thread on Sheffield Forum doesn't make it useful or interesting in any way, but it seems to be Occupy Sheffield's greatest achievement.

I'm surprised they havent sent the "anti-trolling team" onto here yet. Maybe they are still too busy on the Star website :D

I know, I should be working, I think they call it procrastination.

So you procrastinate a job by doing something uninteresting and unuseful?

I think you know my point, it is quite plain. This thread is mostly full of rubbish, but there is a central point that keeps drawing enough people back.

Out of everything I've said I didn't think the 200+ pages would be the thing I had to defend. :)

Whether you support the camp or not, a petition here some may wish to sign that highlights the kind of issues occupy are protesting about.

http://www.avaaz.org/en/goldman_sachs_pay_your_tax/?tta

Quote:

"Our tax chief had secret lunches with Vodafone and Goldman Sachs and then handed them billions in tax breaks – while keeping Parliament in the dark!

Where do we get the "billions" from. £10 million to Goldman Sachs - not sure what to Vodafone.

http://www.iii.co.uk/news-opinion/news/reuters/22640

I don't like the sort of deals HMRC are doing but equally not signing anything that would appear to be grossly exaggerated.

I noticed the Occupy Leeds protestors were evicted / left this morning. The council were clearing up after them (they might not have had chance to clear up themselves)

So you procrastinate a job by doing something uninteresting and unuseful?

Yes, you should buy a dictionary.

I think you know my point, it is quite plain. This thread is mostly full of rubbish, but there is a central point that keeps drawing enough people back.

To be honest, I'm well past caring. Most people posting here just want them gone & the the front of the cathedral cleaned up.

Out of everything I've said I didn't think the 200+ pages would be the thing I had to defend. :)

Go & have a look at the other 200 page threads on Sheffield Forum, are any worth reading at all? The only thing they've succeeded in doing is being a pointless waste of space, having a 200+ page thread here just serves to prove it.

Just to clarify a point here to help the debate move along...

The Cathedral forecourt was one of three sites offered to the protesters by Sheffield City Council prior to the establishment of the camp on 5th Nov. The other two spots offered were Devonshire Green and, I believe but correct me if I'm wrong, Barkers Pool (outside the City Hall). ..

My god and doesn't that explain why Sheffield is in the state it's in because this free spending Labour council support scum like this.... allowing them to camp outside the town hall protesting against businesses what type of impression does that set for any corporation considering opening up a new or relocating an existing business to create jobs to Sheffield when the council is supporting Muppets like this....

and we wonder why Sheffield is in the state its in..... Maybe the scum shoudl camp outside the Town Hall and protest about the 100s of millions of taxpayers money that was wasted on the World Student Games ... what a joke that was we still pay 30 million a year and we hear nothing from the left wing mongrels about this waste ?

Left wingers ... experts in spending other peoples money badly...

Come on guys, that was a really disappointing response. Only one response to my question. It's easy to just criticise, but I'd have far more respect for your concerns if you can offer a reasonable response to my question. So I'll post again...

Let's assume that action does need to be taken against inequality and injustice. With that in mind... what do you propose is the alternative to public protest for ordinary people to help bring about a more equal and fair society?

Just read some of this lot from the lazy scrubbers its embarrassing for the city any excuse not to go and find a job and continue to suck benefits from the system on the pretext that the system is wrong. As if a few smack heads and blow monkeys are going to make a blind bit of difference to the global structure if it wasn't so pathetic it would be funny....

The easiest way to get rid of them is to actually go down there and offer them a job they would run a mile Can you image it it would actually strike fear into their hearts "Hello my names **** I would like to offer you a full time position in a production job you would be earning £8.00 per hour paid holidays etc can you start Monday please" woooooossssh as the smack head legs it down the street ...... I actually don't blame these scum for sitting there I blame the government dept's that do not go down there and stop the benefits of everyone of them .... and we wonder why the country is *******d

Moderators! I don't usually call on you but this is out of order. This is highly insulting to those with and without jobs (of which the camp is made up of a diverse cross section). Please could you do something about this torrent of abuse.

"At its general assembly on 4 January, the Occupy Leeds movement voted unanimously and with regret to close the current camp at City Square after approaching two months of successful occupation, in order to concentrate on alternative tactics.

"Spending all our resources simply surviving as a camp was never our intent and currently feels counter productive to what we are trying to achieve."

"The aim of Occupy Leeds was always to champion direct democracy, seek local views on global issues and to make a stand against corporate greed.

"We hope that closing our physical camp will allow us to concentrate our energy on raising this debate - and our activity as a movement - to new levels during 2012."

So OSC, that's your fellow "occupiers" saying exactly what we've been saying all along, stop camping and start debating.

Will you follow their lead and pack up and go peacefully or are you, as your arrogant response to the Deans letter suggests, determined to be dragged off kicking and screaming?

Where do we get the "billions" from. £10 million to Goldman Sachs - not sure what to Vodafone.

http://www.iii.co.uk/news-opinion/news/reuters/22640

I don't like the sort of deals HMRC are doing but equally not signing anything that would appear to be grossly exaggerated.

According to the BBC http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-16253205

A committee of MP's said that There was potentially £25 Billion of Outstanding tax owed by big companies.

Yes, you should buy a dictionary.

I'm only being friendly. No need for that.