Occupy Sheffield Cathedral

do you think the protesters deserve to stay ?  

599 members have voted

1. 1. do you think the protesters deserve to stay ?

• yes, and they should be encouraged to stay
    • no, and they should be evicted by the church

You ignored my Giles Fraser question.

QUOTE]

I saw Giles Fraser on newsnight and was not very impressed by his performance.

Yet again, I don't think it is. If it was that pointless it wouldn't inspire 200+ pages.

With the only supportive posts coming from the happy campers.

The rest is people telling them they're pointless fools. :)

Yet again, I don't think it is. If it was that pointless it wouldn't inspire 200+ pages.

Neither side of the argument has been able to pursuade the other to change their viewpoints or for Occupy to supply an agenda for change or ways to achieve their aims.

Just to clarify a point here to help the debate move along...

The Cathedral forecourt was one of three sites offered to the protesters by Sheffield City Council prior to the establishment of the camp on 5th Nov. The other two spots offered were Devonshire Green and, I believe but correct me if I'm wrong, Barkers Pool (outside the City Hall). The Cathedral Court was chosen by public vote as the site due to proximity to the banks and because it is a visible site in the heart of the city centre. Establishing a protest directly outside the banks isn't really a feasible option due to Health & Safety as it would block public walkways etc.

Tony - it's good to see you offering constructive points to the discussion unlike last night. I agree that your 'an hour a day at a specific location' idea is certainly worthy of further discussion. As someone who is trying to be objective in all of this, I would hope that this idea is discussed by the protesters at one of the public meetings...

To those who are critical of the protest, I'd like to ask a question...

Let's assume that action does need to be taken against inequality and injustice. With that in mind... what do you propose is the alternative to public protest for ordinary people to help bring about a more equal and fair society?

To those who are critical of the protest, I'd like to ask a question...

Let's assume that action does need to be taken against inequality and injustice. With that in mind... what do you propose is the alternative to public protest for ordinary people to help bring about a more equal and fair society?

Surely it is to vote out the ones who are not doing enough and to vote in the ones who will make a change? The only problem being finding someone who will make a change of course.

Are occupy sheffield expecting a load of campers from Leeds ? I see they have seen the error of their ways and disbanded the Leeds "branch". Are they still allowed at the conference ?

Absolutely Grappler. If only it were that simple! Yes, as you point out, unfortunately our politicians of all parties are failing us and political reform is needed (better representation, greater accountability, transparency etc).

I look forward to more ideas...

Whether you support the camp or not, a petition here some may wish to sign that highlights the kind of issues occupy are protesting about.

http://www.avaaz.org/en/goldman_sachs_pay_your_tax/?tta

Quote:

"Our tax chief had secret lunches with Vodafone and Goldman Sachs and then handed them billions in tax breaks – while keeping Parliament in the dark!

MPs are outraged, claiming we are owed over 25 billion pounds in back taxes from these and similar dodgy deals. But the tax agency has blocked an inquiry into the scandal and refuses to release documents to shed light on why these tax breaks were ordered in the first place.

By acting together now we can ensure full transparency on the Goldman Sachs and Vodafone deals, and get them to pay the tax they owe. Let’s turn up the heat -- sign the petition to David Cameron for tax justice"

You're talking about Sheffield Forum. Only the boring & pointless threads last that long before they're closed.

It's even beat the snow in 2009! - http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=532483

A 200 page thread on Sheffield Forum doesn't make it useful or interesting in any way, but it seems to be Occupy Sheffield's greatest achievement.

Edited by anywebsite

A 200 page thread on Sheffield Forum doesn't make it useful or interesting in any way

Then why do people keep coming back to it again and again? If it is neither useful or interesting, you have a very odd way of spending your time.