Would you support austerity measures if your family were to pay the price?

Would you support Greek style austerity measures in the UK?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Would you support Greek style austerity measures in the UK?

• yes - provided other people and familys were to pay the price
    • No - its too high a price to pay

We are seeing the average Greek rejecting the austerity measures, as for them it is absolutely certain to mean a reduction in living standards, however for many they will pay the ultimate price and are likely to lose their homes, plus everything they have worked for in life.

The political class (plus many average brits) say we are all in this together and as the Greeks have been living beyond their means, they should suffer from whatever fallout comes from austerity.

Is that fair for the average Greek, who went about his everyday life, earning a living, when the people who were the the root cause of the problems (the political class) seem to be getting away scot free. These people (the political class) believe that the average Greek should take the pain squarely on the chin, whilst they continue their cosy life, while their fellow countryman have his/her life destroyed.

If you were a Greek, or come the time when we face austerity, will you welcome these packages of massive cuts?

Or will it be a case of - "yes, i fully support the austerity measures, provided my own family are not threatened by the consequences)

or will you...

Happily lose your home leaving your family destitute?

We are seeing the average Greek rejecting the austerity measures, as for them it is absolutely certain to mean a reduction in living standards, however for many they will pay the ultimate price and are likely to lose their homes, plus everything they have worked for in life.

The political class (plus many average brits) say we are all in this together and as the Greeks have been living beyond their means, they should suffer from whatever fallout comes from austerity.

Is that fair for the average Greek, who went about his everyday life, earning a living, when the people who were the the root cause of the problems (the political class) seem to be getting away scot free. These people (the political class) believe that the average Greek should take the pain squarely on the chin, whilst they continue their cosy life, while their fellow countryman have his/her life destroyed.

If you were a Greek, or come the time when we face austerity, will you welcome these packages of massive cuts?

Or will it be a case of - "yes, i fully support the austerity measures, provided my own family are not threatened by the consequences)

or will you...

I would tolerate them and change my life accordingly.

I would tolerate them and change my life accordingly.

Even if you lost your home?

Even if you lost your home?

Why would I lose my home?

or will you...

Whichever way you look at it, they are going to lose out.

Ah the poor innocent lamb....bless.

Why would you lose your home?

Well if your outgoings (mortgage, bills etc..) come to say £1400 which these days is not far out, and you had a job that paid £1600 a month after tax.

If because of the austerity, you had to take a pay cut to £800 a month, or you lost your job and benefits were £200 a month (benefit paymenst could be cut), yet you had to find £1400 a month, then you would quicky go into debt.

You would then lose your home

Why would you lose your home?

Well if your outgoings (mortgage, bills etc..) come to say £1400 which these days is not far out, and you had a job that paid £1600 a month after tax.

If because of the austerity, you had to take a pay cut to £800 a month, or you lost your job and benefits were £200 a month (benefit paymenst could be cut), yet you had to find £1400 a month, then you would quicky go into debt.

You would then lose your home

I would change my life and continue to live within my means, if I have less money coming in I would spend less money. Isn’t that obvious.

Austerity begins at home (or is that charity).

It's surprising what you can do without when you have to. We've had to make some serious changes in our lifestyle and for now just about get by. If we were asked to cut back further we'd be screwed.

I don't know.

If the way forward could be shown to be the right way we would do what was needed but, who to believe??

The dispossessed are never a happy breed and no i would fight it tooth and nail as the Greek referendum is about to reveal hence the eurodictators of wealth distribution are crapping it.

I would agree to an equivalent lifestylye of those imposing the austerity whether that be them forsaking their wealth to achieve parity with me or me being elevated to their status or even applying a pecking order where the rich are the first to implement austerity followed by the poor.

I guess it would depend on whether I was a (relatively) young worker paying my way into the system, or a retiree on full pay aged 51 :twisted:

Now, which sort outnumbers the other in Greece?

I think the Greeks are perfectly entitled to retire at 55 and then enjoy lazy afternoons drinking espresso (or something stronger) in the sun while we work until we drop to subsidise them. :rolleyes: