How many people are in the same boat as me?

sufc1889,

Good luck with your job hunting and ignore the people on here who are being nasty. You are certainly not alone.

Hey MobileB, have you got an email I can forward my Latest CV and covering letter to.

I have contacted a few jobs offering a free no risk, non paid work trail, where all I am after is a reference, but its still looking quiet, but just got to keep plugging away!

Also, thanks for everyones help and advice and took it on board, ill keep plugging away!!

Send it through to [email protected] and I will take a look for you.

I'll be joining your plight soon too. Keep at it, something will turn up.

been out of work now for a month and its getting to the make or break point with cash running out, bills stacking up and every job that i apply for a follow it up with a phone call a few days later and the response is '100s of people have applied and we cant get back to everyone'

If thats not the case its agencies advertising fake jobs, just to get your details on there books. Its soul destroying hard work and all you get off the government if your young is slogans like 'chav britain', 'lazy youth of today' there must be people in the same boat as me getting seriously fed up. I have even applied for every fast food outlet and got nothing back, and this is coming from a 24 year old who has constantly been in work since school and has only had three jobs in that time.

Frustrating is an understatment, but it really looks like this country is going down the pan and I dread to see what its like in the New Year when all the xmas temp jobs finish and the people fighting for jobs doubles or even trebles.

I was the same been in work all my life then when the government started raising everything and making cuts which p**t me off i was 1 that went,but i dint give up i went on agency's just to me going,its just a thought.

All the best.

What sort of work have you done and what sort of specific work are you after(not just any job what sort do you want) I will keep my ear out but it's mainly manual work labouring etc It's good to hear of someone getting off there backside and looking. A guy I know advertised some vacancies and got hardly anyone and the ones that applied were far from capable. I have advertised with the job centre before and got no one suitable. I too don't mind looking over your cv for an extra opinion. Good luck hope you find something

hiya everyone, last week i started a job at a well known supermarket, its on a 25 hour a week contract but its enough to just get by and once my feets under table and i have proven myself I will be able to secure a full time contract.

I also took the advice of a few of here, sorted my CV out and contacted a few local warehouses and factories about doing a potential work trial and got offered two jobs from that as well, so that was good advice. one was full time but temp contract and one was a 20 hour a week perm job, but decided to go with the supermarket work as a stable job is something that appeals to me in these tough economic times.

But yeah, thanks for everyones advice and persistance finally paid off!

Well done SUFC1889. I really admire you. It is so hard for anybody who is young and not had the chance to get an awful lot of experience. I wish the government would do something about it, because many of us are really doing our best!!:)

hiya everyone, last week i started a job at a well known supermarket, its on a 25 hour a week contract but its enough to just get by and once my feets under table and i have proven myself I will be able to secure a full time contract.

I also took the advice of a few of here, sorted my CV out and contacted a few local warehouses and factories about doing a potential work trial and got offered two jobs from that as well, so that was good advice. one was full time but temp contract and one was a 20 hour a week perm job, but decided to go with the supermarket work as a stable job is something that appeals to me in these tough economic times.

But yeah, thanks for everyones advice and persistance finally paid off!

Very well done! It's good when people who really want to work get a position.

so whats the answer, wait till the reccession blows over and jobs in my line of work come up, lie about my previous experience to make it look like i have never had a job and would work at said fast food outlet forever. Or just stick to my guns, apply for what I can to make sure my little girl gets the xmas she deserves and roof over head and food on the table?

i defy anyone in my shoes not to apply for anything at this time of year!

im in the same boat but ALOT older than you - keep your chin up something will present itself soon x

To the OP, I'd suggest you start your own business doing something you do well or can learn to do well. Employers these days can legally treat you like dirt with bogus 'self employment' deals that only mean they sidestep any obligations they have re: National Insurance, Minimum Wage etc. The government is aware of this and more than happy for it to continue.

Also, if you don't have ties here in Sheffield, consider moving somewhere more affluent in the country. I like Sheffield but it does suffer more than most places during recessions.

Yeah try going self employed, I did 6 months ago and earned what i would in a year in 6 months