Best way to Sprouts

I'm thinking of growing sprouts on my allotment but can anyone recommend the best way to freeze them for taste and crispness. I tried freezing some shop bought sprouts just by peeling outer layer and popping straight into a freezer bag into freezer. Just had them for tea and they were awful, not crisp and firm like a fresh sprout.

I need to get this technique right before i grow any, dont fancy sprouts for every meal every day when they are ready for picking :hihi:

you need to part cook for about 10 to 20 mins

Kev

How many sprouts are you planning on growing? :hihi: Just pick them as you need them, they'll keep on the plants for a while and be far, far nicer than frozen ones.

However if you do get overrun with them you blanch (cook) them for 3-4 mins first, then cool them down in iced water to stop them cooking further before freezing them. As for part cooking them for 10-20 mins :o Guess it depends whether you like them soft/soup :hihi:

In my experience all frozen sprouts are horrible!

Rob's right,picked fresh off the plant,there is no comparison.

Try growing a few plants of two different varieties,one maturing early and one late.

You should have a long succession of fresh sprouts right through the winter.

jane

dont bother they taste horrible when frozen.get a seed catalogue and pick 3 different packets of seeds.1 early 1 middle 1 late

you will have fresh sprouts from nov to march

Thanks to everyone who has replied. I will take PCInfield's advice and grow some maturing early and some late ones.