Memories of Fulwood Cottage Homes

On 02/01/2020 at 15:52, mikeG said:

Several boys from the homes were in my year at Lydgate Lane School 1948-54.  I contacted one of them on this site about 10 years ago. Melville Deakin. He ran a wine exporting business in America.

Hi Mike,  Seem to have lost touch with some lads that came on here, but did notice you put Melville Deakin,

i knew him as melvin deakin and the boy use to be in No6 house with me and our first house mother was

miss Linsley, she died then we had a house mother called Miss Marshall.  I went into Fulwood cottage homes

in 1942/3 left 1954. happy days speaking for myself. dont get on here these days i'm on

facebook more now. yours Brian

On 25/09/2008 at 22:45, davygfuchsia said:

Evening Sedge and all

Sedge ,thankyou for the copies..We had a wonderful day .Aunty was in house 19 which is now number 42 ..we had agood look around and have a few photos.. Then went to the school.'Moorfield school' which in late twenties was girls only ..Then on to Christchurch Fulwood had a look inside and around the churchyard...

Weather was kind and we finished off with tea and a sticky bun .. All safely home ..

Dave

Great!

Looking for a peter and betty who where in fulwood cottages in 1952 can anyone help me please

On 17/07/2019 at 12:04, SputnikBoy said:

While I'm aware that several threads on this particular topic have previously been initiated, I've been gone from the forum for pretty close to a decade (besides a brief visit back in 2017) and am wondering if anyone from 'the homes' is still around to share their FCH experiences?

I spent several years in Cottage #9 with Miss Bower as the House Mother.  Kids that I recall as 'house brothers' were Graham Hanson, Ernest Hill, Roger Bradbury, Tony and David Wales, Norman Meltzer, George Archer and Kenneth Bolton.   Hearing from - or even about - any of these 'kids' would be great.

That should do it for now.  Meanwhile, does anyone have anything to share about their tenure in Fulwood Cottage Homes?  

Hi there, I have just joined this Forum.  I  was also in F.C.Homes  ) from the age of 15months  old  (My Mother died from TB) from  1945  to  1953 and was in number 9 with Miss Bower .I remember  Roger Bradbury but not any other names . Senior moment  or maybe because I hated my childhood. My name is Alan Graham Proctor . Known as Graham  in the orphanage  and until I was 15 yrs old . We were taken by bus to Crookes Endowed School and I remember that the Normal Kids would play beat the orphanage kids up at playtime.  I went back to FCH in about 1970 when I was a sewing machine mechanic to fix some machines and could not believe how small it was from my childhood memories. It was then called Blackbrook Mount a home for girls . Hope this is of interest Alan.

1957/58 My Mum was ill in hospital, and I was taken in the Cottages homes for several months.

The little Chapel hall where we sometimes had cartoon pictures on a Sat morn, and I remember a party in there

with red balloons. The Nursery house 2nd down on the right! for the little ones with mini-camp beds for an

afternoon nap. The Sweety tuck shop at the back window to spend our 6pence we were given on a Sat morn.

Snap dragon flowers as you came in the entrance gate, so colourful. The playground which was grass edged,

full of 'Moon Pennies' you know! the big white daisies. The smell of the Laundry house at the bottom right

corner, steam billowing out. A single deck bus took us younger children to Broomhill School.

I also have visited not long ago to see how they have created the Moorside complex. Beautiful!!

A wonderful transformation of the houses, and the quirkiest thing is, my friend is now living in the house I

stayed in. 

On 17/07/2019 at 12:04, SputnikBoy said:

While I'm aware that several threads on this particular topic have previously been initiated, I've been gone from the forum for pretty close to a decade (besides a brief visit back in 2017) and am wondering if anyone from 'the homes' is still around to share their FCH experiences?

I spent several years in Cottage #9 with Miss Bower as the House Mother.  Kids that I recall as 'house brothers' were Graham Hanson, Ernest Hill, Roger Bradbury, Tony and David Wales, Norman Meltzer, George Archer and Kenneth Bolton.   Hearing from - or even about - any of these 'kids' would be great.

That should do it for now.  Meanwhile, does anyone have anything to share about their tenure in Fulwood Cottage Homes?  

Hi there, I too was in number 9  and can remember  Roger Bradbury, but no other names .I left about 1953 from 1945, known as Graham Proctor in the orphanage  ,but now Alan which is my 1st name . Best Wishes.

On 26/06/2021 at 04:37, Alan Proctor said:

Hi there, I too was in number 9  and can remember  Roger Bradbury, but no other names .I left about 1953 from 1945, known as Graham Proctor in the orphanage  ,but now Alan which is my 1st name . Best Wishes.

Hi Graham.  I DO remember you, rather vaguely but it's starting to come back to me.   We were in the same cottage (#9) at the same time under the care of Miss Bower.   We also attended the same school, Crookes Endowed.  I was Rodney Fearnehough.  Would you respond ASAP?

Hi Rod, I am  gob smacked to get a reply .I have only just joined the forum  and its fab to here from you. I was in FCH for  about 9 years and left when my Dad remarried . All in All my childhood was crap. But I would like to chat more over a pint if possible .I live in Hoyland where are you, cheers Alan.

12 hours ago, Alan Proctor said:

Hi Rod, I am  gob smacked to get a reply .I have only just joined the forum  and its fab to here from you. I was in FCH for  about 9 years and left when my Dad remarried . All in All my childhood was crap. But I would like to chat more over a pint if possible .I live in Hoyland where are you, cheers Alan.

Hi Alan.  So good to hear from you!  If you would shoot me an email I'll communicate with you in that manner.  My email address is: sequencerman2005@yahoo.com.au

Hope to hear from you!

Rod

I have only just found this forum and am so much hoping that some of the COTTAMS are still active on it, having seen your posts from 2005. My father was Albert Bailey, first son of Phyllis BAILEY before she married Lewis James COTTAM.  Sadly, Albert died in 2008. He was in Fulwood Cottage Homes probably from 1936/7 and remembered walking the Cottam children to school. He was never quite sure if Jim Cottam was his father - Phyllis said so but Jim always denied it. I'd love to share more information with you.