Android updates? Not likely..

It's on a contract, and I quite like gadgets and stuff. But all the talk of 'roots' and ROM's baffles me somewhat. I don't think I'm alone in this, as most people with iPhones and all the other hi-end tech, don't have a clue what 'under the lid'.

Root means that you gain complete control over the phone, it's a computer term for a user with full permissions.

Rom is Read Only Memory, and refers to the code that the phone is running (not in a ROM strictly speaking, it's another old computer term being reused).

If you get root (ie complete control) then you can change the ROM (ie upload different operating system software) which means you're no longer restricted to what your service provider or phone provider release, you can (try) to apply any version of android that google have released and gain additional functionality, whilst removing the 'extras' that came with your phone that probably slow it down.

@cyclone

Thanks for the info. You live and learn!!! Yes I have to admit some of the guff that's on my phone, I have no use for whatsoever, and I suspect a lot of it, does indeed slow it down,AND drain the already not too good battery life.

Thanks anyway for explaining!

It's sometimes a risky process of course, sometimes the software doesn't work properly and in a worse case you can brick your phone!

Yeah I can imagine it's a bit scary! When I got my phone I looked at lots of options including the iPhone. My conclusion for what it's worth was that the iPhone was simply too expensive. I rang my provider when I was due an upgrade and said I've been with you for 'x' number of years, what 'deal' can you do? They told me (Idon't know if it was true) that they didn't have a say in it. Apple tells them the cost, and that's it! That put me off for starters. I did have an iPhone briefly which my sister had given me. It was jailbroke, and I thought it was really good. The one day when I plugged it into the computer it nagged me to upgrade to 'whatever'. I stupidly let it, do it, and it blocked the handset (back to the original 02 provider - I was using an orange sim). So it became useless to me. Then there was the issue of Battery. What if it died? You can't change it yourself. You can't put more memory in. The list of reasons why iPhone was bad got longer and longer.

So I got the HTC. If the battery dies, I can change it. If I want more RAM, I buy some and pop it in. It's all a case of flexibility!

That's my view for what it's worth.

It's sometimes a risky process of course, sometimes the software doesn't work properly and in a worse case you can brick your phone!

It's actually pretty difficult to brick a phone these days.

Take the Samsungs for example, if you make a complete and utter hash of it you have a recovery mode.

Break that, (you're doing really well!) and you can "Jig" it with a usb cable.

Flash the rom back from your PC and you're back at square 1.

Yeah I can imagine it's a bit scary! When I got my phone I looked at lots of options including the iPhone. My conclusion for what it's worth was that the iPhone was simply too expensive. I rang my provider when I was due an upgrade and said I've been with you for 'x' number of years, what 'deal' can you do? They told me (Idon't know if it was true) that they didn't have a say in it. Apple tells them the cost, and that's it! That put me off for starters. I did have an iPhone briefly which my sister had given me. It was jailbroke, and I thought it was really good. The one day when I plugged it into the computer it nagged me to upgrade to 'whatever'. I stupidly let it, do it, and it blocked the handset (back to the original 02 provider - I was using an orange sim). So it became useless to me. Then there was the issue of Battery. What if it died? You can't change it yourself. You can't put more memory in. The list of reasons why iPhone was bad got longer and longer.

So I got the HTC. If the battery dies, I can change it. If I want more RAM, I buy some and pop it in. It's all a case of flexibility!

That's my view for what it's worth.

You can't add RAM to your phone. You can buy a bigger SD card - to store you photos, music, videos etc on, not RAM.

Also - O2 will unlock an iphone for you - there is a web form you can fill in for them to do it for you - this is better than the jailbreak option as its permenant and survives itunes updates.

Edited by ElasticMan

Its definitely worth being aware of the dangers - but in most cases if you follow the guides and tutorials on xda you shouldn't have a problem.

My main advice for someone who hasn't flashed a new rom before is to go to the relevant section on xda - find a tutorial for your device, read it again and again until you understand what is happening at each step. If there are videos watch them. If software downloads are required download them, unzip them and test them before you start.

Once you've got to the point where you have Clockwork Recovery installed you can literally flash a new rom whenever you want - I try out pretty much all the new ones for the Desire HD, then just restore back to my previous version of I don't like. I've never had one that didn't work though.

This is the beauty of android!

Who needs official updates when you have some very clever people making Rom flashing as simple as putting a zip file on an sd card and hitting an app to do it!

superoneclick to root, Clockworkmod to install recovery and away you go!

I have an SGS and I was a fan of Serendipity. Thought I would try something different and installed Darkys 10.2.2 yesterday. I'm giving it a chance but I still prefer Serendipity so I may go back to that.

Altho I am having an issue with my camera due to me "tinkering" :D Think it might require a complete wipe and a stock rom putting on to get it working again.

Stock firmwares are full of useless apps that you dont need... another benefit of rom flashing!

Altho I am having an issue with my camera due to me "tinkering" :D Think it might require a complete wipe and a stock rom putting on to get it working again.

Going back to stock wont help - as soon as you flash a new rom anything that was in the stock rom is gone.

The problem is, with so many users stuck on 2.1, or 2.2, then developers can't take advantage of new features, or if they do, then the install base becomes reduced. Its the same as having users stuck on IE 6.

I always find the 'it does everything I need argument' a bit of a cop out - its a good job that Google and Apple don't just think like that, or nothing would ever move on.

"so many users stuck on 2.1, or 2.2, then developers can't take advantage of new features"

i think this quote is wrong. Developer's can take advantage.The only reason we have custom roms (for phone's not getting official support that are stuck on 1.5/6 2.1 or 2.2) is for dev's to take feature's from new "unavailable" version's of android and port them to the devices not getting official support.i have one officially stuck on 2.1. so i root'd it etc.and i was running a "dimmed" down version of ICS that was based on minicm7 i say "dimmed down" because at the time i found this version their was only a certain amount of "confirmed" feature's but those where pretty cool and never been seen on anyother version of android and so i got an ICS looking device. take a look at my phone running 4.2.5. http://attachments.xda-developers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=750550&d=1318680292

Thank's

Going back to stock wont help - as soon as you flash a new rom anything that was in the stock rom is gone.

This is BS. if you still got the stock rom on your SD card. or anywhere on the internet you can FLASH this on your device and EVERYTHING that came stock will be their. the only thing that is gone after flashing a stock rom will be your data partition (App's/Game's) that is if the stock rom wipe's this partition .

dont listen to Elasticman if he think's you will lose everything on a stock rom after flashing it back to stock he is dumb..(stock rom = everything stock) all apk's clock's widget's wallpapers etc etc..

it's like me saying "oh i messed with the framework" and F'd up my 2.3.9 android version so i BEST flash it again. but oh no look what elasticman wrote if i flash it again nothing will be their..

no not true, the ROM has everything built in. just like the stock rom