Where did people buy their model airplane kits from in the 1950s

used to go to GORDEN JOEL on church street. good model shop.

Got my first airfix from Woolies (woolworths ) 1/3p Spitfire

when talking about hobbys and airfix planes i used to go to redgates which i forgot in my last rply

If we are talking about model planes that fly then it is definitely HOBBIES in St Pauls Parade.

Hobbies Ltd. was the shop I often visited in the late 40's and early 50's for model aircraft kits engines etc. It was situated opposite the town hall on the paved area opposite (south) side of the gardens.(now developed beyond all recognition!).

Hobbies Ltd. was the shop I often visited in the late 40's and early 50's for model aircraft kits engines etc. It was situated opposite the town hall on the paved area opposite (south) side of the gardens.(now developed beyond all recognition!).

The Peace Gardens have completely changed but the parade of shops where Hobbies was is still there (despite the council trying to have it demolished at one time).Have a look on Streetview.

Hobbies on St Pauls Parade

theres a toy shop near the junction of stalforth rd and attercliffe road been there donkeys

Hobbies rings a bell with me although I never had a plane but an older boy who lived nearby called Peter Lowe used to take me to Barbers Fields near Woodseats where he would fly his planes while I watched and wound the rubber bands. Are you there Peter?

Thomas's Toy shop at hillsborough was the place for us.

I can remember cutting out all the balsa wood frames and glueing the structures together, some were quite complicated designs.

We then covered the frames with paper which we painted it with a strong smelling glue called Dope that made the whole assembly pretty strong.

As kids we couldn't wait to get into Hillsborough Park to fly them.

Happy days! PopT

Kenyons & Mrs Seymores, both at Firth Park .....my brother bought all his there !!!

Barbara

Hobbies on St Pauls Parade

hiya i remember my first two model air craft when i was about 7 or 8 one was a glider which i had in the box for a few months waiting for it to be put together as dad was still away in the army, when it was finally made the first time it flew it broke up on landing, tarmac wasn't the best place to try it. that was from hobbies, the next one was a small propellor type with a rubber band through the body, when it broke i remember fixing a small stone in the nose, boy could that fly until it landed on the rooftop.

Edited by willybite