Head of First World War soldier

What makes you think its a WW1 soldier? Looking at the picture the subjects hair is too long and the hat is not even close to a WW1 British army pattern helmet, I think the search for who the subject is needs to be widened beyond WW1.

The location above the central ginnel suggests to me that this is intended to be a decoration for the whole terrace rather than one house in particular. It may have been the idea of the builder rather than a resident.

Hugh

The location above the central ginnel suggests to me that this is intended to be a decoration for the whole terrace rather than one house in particular. It may have been the idea of the builder rather than a resident.

Hugh

Which is a possibility I remember demolishing houses on nearby Staveley Road with similar plaques, think they built them in to the new housing.

Hi Daven Many thanks for the suggestions which I will follow up although I have yet to discover how to access Sheffield electoral rolls. A learning curve I guess.

Regards.

Sheffield Central library on Surrey Street keep electoral registers going back to the last century.

---------- Post added 30-06-2014 at 19:30 ----------

Hi

Does anyone know the story behind the stone head of a First World War soldier (complete with helmet) which appears on the facade of a house (I believe number 99 or thereabouts) on either London Road or Abbeydale Road? I don't know exactly where London Road finishes and Abbeydale Road begins.

I have been trying for ages to get some information - even tried Central Library but with no luck. It's just so intriguing

Historybuff

Well I may have blown the WW1 soldier theory out of the water.

Looking at the 1911 census, Joseph and Margaret Gilday lived at 101 Abbeydale Road and they had 2 daughters Ada and Margaret May.

Arthur and Florence Fowler lived at 99 and also had 2 daughters Florence Ethel and Winifred. In other words neither couple had a son that would have been the right age to fight and die in WW1.

Back to the drawing board.

waldershelf What makes you think its a WW1 soldier? Looking at the picture the subjects hair is too long and the hat is not even close to a WW1 British army pattern helmet, I think the search for who the subject is needs to be widened beyond WW1.

Must admit that I have not studied it close up. I first noticed it whilst idly looking out of a bus window. To me, it just has the appearance of a WW1 helmet so I made the assumption.

_______

If anyone is able to find out who built the houses we may find the answer.

If anyone is able to find out who built the houses we may find the answer.

That name may be cast into the inspection chamber covers if they are still the original ones.

waldershelf What makes you think its a WW1 soldier? Looking at the picture the subjects hair is too long and the hat is not even close to a WW1 British army pattern helmet, I think the search for who the subject is needs to be widened beyond WW1.

Must admit that I have not studied it close up. I first noticed it whilst idly looking out of a bus window. To me, it just has the appearance of a WW1 helmet so I made the assumption.

_______

One of the Staveley Road plaques is there on Nos. 20 - 22, I remember there being two of them, taken away I think by the museum or council to be rebuilt into housing in the area.

That name may be cast into the inspection chamber covers if they are still the original ones.

There you go historybuff - that is your next challenge.

Keep us informed.

Many thanks to all who have contributed ideas, theories etc. I am leaning to Waldershelf's belief that it is not a WW1 soldier but more likely a decoration intended for the whole terrace. As Retep recalls demolishing nearby houses with a similar appendage perhaps the builder at the time had a job lot of the heads of Roman Gods or something similar!

When the opportunity arises I will try to find the name of the builder. If I have any luck I will let you know.

Regards & thanks again.

Slightly O/T but ther is a row of terrace houses at Crosspool with a small "bust" in the stonework each side of the front door.

These are allegedly based on the builders that built the terrace.

There is an article about this in the stars retro guide from yesterday, it is a plaque to commemorate Field Marshall Viscount Garnet Wolseley KPGCBOMGCMGVDPC (June 4,1833-March 25, 1913) who was an Anglo Irish officer in the British army.

There is a two page article about this in the sheffield retro pull out dated the 12th July 2014.