Explosion in Grimesthorpe - local historians

Researching a family history connection. All the info I have is that there was an explosion that demolished a block of flats and there were fatalities. It would be after 1900 I guess - it could have been a war time explosion or perhaps gas - any of you local history buffs know anything?

Any info, greatly appreciated

There was a gas explosion at Alflats the builders in Grimesthorpe Road in 1939. It blew out the front of the building and it was turned into flats when it was rebuilt.

Believe one person was killed - but not sure.

Another explosion a short time after in the Clun Road area but we do not know much about that.

Both events probably recorded in The Star newspaper.

Another explosion in Grimesthorpe Road during World War 1 when a family by the name of Harrison were all killed.

Strangely another b omb dropped in WW2 in almost exactly the same spot. Albert Frecknal's house.

Boam

An explosion in front of Grimesthorpe School in the 70's. A gas main blew a big hole in the the road one morning. I don't think anyone was hurt.

Boam

Thanks for the info I will follow up the leads - very promising

:thumbsup::):clap:

Teabag

There was a gas explosion at Alflats the builders in Grimesthorpe Road in 1939. It blew out the front of the building and it was turned into flats when it was rebuilt.

Believe one person was killed - but not s

Another explosion a short time after in the Clun Road area but we do not know much about that.

Both events probably recorded in The Star newspaper.

Another explosion in Grimesthorpe Road during World War 1 when a family by the name of Harrison were all killed.

Strangely another b omb dropped in WW2 in almost exactly the same spot. Albert Frecknal's house.

Boam

Hi Boam [is it Geoff by any chance]I thought Alflats was on the short rd opposite John Heaths off spital hill Ilived off Grimesthorpe rd in that era went to All Saints Arthur.