Cheap Family Recipes :)

Does anyone have any good cheap recipe's that don't taste naff?

Hi everyone, going through a bit of a rough time at the minute at home and money is tight :( anyone have any ideas of recipes they use to feed around 4 people we are trying to make cuts anywhere possible :)

Thank you so much

and please no sarcy comments think they would tip me over the edge lol :)

Hi everyone, going through a bit of a rough time at the minute at home and money is tight :( anyone have any ideas of recipes they use to feed around 4 people we are trying to make cuts anywhere possible :)

Thank you so much

and please no sarcy comments think they would tip me over the edge lol :)

got to say REALLY good idea for a thread...looking forward to some good tips...

Make stuff in bulk then freeze any leftovers. Off the top of head I'd recommend veggie chilli, tuna pasta bake, broccoli and cauliflower gratin, homemade soups, pumpkin stew.

I'm able to do my food shopping daily so I can always pick up bargains and usually decide on the day what I'm going to cook based on what catches my eye either in the supermarket or the greengrocer.

Make stuff in bulk then freeze any leftovers. Off the top of head I'd recommend veggie chilli, tuna pasta bake, broccoli and cauliflower gratin, homemade soups, pumpkin stew.

I'm able to do my food shopping daily so I can always pick up bargains and usually decide on the day what I'm going to cook based on what catches my eye either in the supermarket or the greengrocer.

That is a very good idea :) where do you usually shop ? x

That is a very good idea :) where do you usually shop ? x

I go to Sharps greengrocers on Moorfoot. He usually has stuff going cheap, mushrooms, peppers, onions, etc so I'll pop in and see what he has on offer before planning what I'll do for tea.

For meat I go my local butcher on South Road, but my partner is veggie so I only have meat on occasions or when she is away.

A friend of mine always comes into work with sandwiches, fruit and wraps from m&s he goes at around half 6 I think and they are reduced to something ridiculous like 10p because of the use by date but are fine the following lunch time. Wish I had time to go.

Cottage Smallholder has some good ones, this one uses the stalks of broccoli and cauliflower to make soup. If you can't afford the cheese make it without. Brilliant website so have a look at her other recipes too :)

http://www.cottagesmallholder.com/recipe-for-leftovers-broccoli-cauliflower-and-stilton-soup-7486

i know its not very exciting but try and buy ingredients that you can use multiple times eg spag bol etc rather than packs of bacon which would last you one meal. i know they werent very good examples but i hope you understood what i was getting at :)

Make a curry, Pad it out with extra tomatto and onions, beans, and freeze - for £5.00 of chicken I can get 7-8 meals and I'm a big eater.

Chilli con carney - Lidel sometimes reduce the price of there mince to around £1.84 three of these padded out as above will do the same number.

at least two of the fish stalls in the market do off cuts - one does haddock the other cod, both at about £1.50, mix the two together for a fish pie toped with mash potatoe, will only feed you for one meal but still cheap (ask for parsley at the stalls, it's free)

Pasta always goes a long way (not keen on it myself)

buy cheaper cuts of meat and cook for longer (savings on the meat may be used up by the extra cooking time) so use a preasure cooker, A great money saver, cooking a complete meal on one ring, and cooking it in half the time.

Just a couple of ideas, at this time in the morning can't think straight Ha! Ha!

buy cheaper cuts of meat and cook for longer (savings on the meat may be used up by the extra cooking time) so use a preasure cooker, A great money saver, cooking a complete meal on one ring, and cooking it in half the time.

Just a couple of ideas, at this time in the morning can't think straight Ha! Ha!

Cheaper cuts of meat are usually more tasty as well, as long as you keep the fat on and cook slowly. I got some shin beef a couple of weeks ago, 500g for less than £3 if memory seves me right. Slow cooked with onion, carrot, mushrooms and stock then topped with mashed potato/swede/carrot. It was lovely and more than enough left overs to put in the freezer. In fact I've having some for lunch today.

Home made soup is excellent - even if you serve it as a starter to bulk up a main meal.

I usually buy whatever is reduced or on offer. Carrots are 50p in Morrisons add some coriander,enough for 4.

Simply boil for 15 minutes in all in one pan add a couple of stock cubes and seasoning. Then blitz with a little hand blender.