Working at Brown Baileys

Just joined the forum today. I started my working days at Brown Bayleys (think that's how it was spelt?) in 1970. Iworked in the export department. Was there for about 2 years.

I started my working life at Brown Baileys. My father had worked in the electricians shop before going into the rolling mill as a roller driver. I commenced working in the chemical laboratory in 1956 and stayed for about three years and worked with some great people.

I was an apprentice boilermaker there in the seventies.

Worked in the Boiler Shop.

My 'mentor' - can't remember his name - spent most of the time - studying sheet music. He used to moonlight playing the guitar or Hammond organ in pubs.

I was given most of the horrible ( and dangerous come to think of it ) jobs - like burning off twisted and mangled ingots from the rolling mills. Or welding/repairing parts of nackered furnaces. Usually by crawling through tiny passages without wearing any protection except a pair of overalls ( usually tattered and blackened as we used to seem to set them on fire very regularly ) and stel toe-capped boots.

It was a hell-hole and smelled constantly of burnt metal.

On the other hand it was incredibly exciting to be a 16 year old kid working a few yards away from the rolling mills, the furnaces or the massive hammer forges.

The men were all big, blunt,rough, tough and would think nothing of drinking four pints of beer in half an hour at dinner time - but they looked after me. I think I was the only kid who had wanted to be a Boilermaker for years. Consequently, I was given a hard time and I learned to be good at my job very quickly.

I was also passed around from team to team ( welder and labourer ) so I got to know the gossip and lowdown everybody who worked in the shop.

I only worked there for about three years ( I joined the Army after that ) - but the place is tattooed on my brain.

Especially monstrous was the way all the apprentices were forced to perform in some home cooked Christmas Panto before most of the employees.

Ritual humiliation but good natured.

Hi, My dad worked at Brown Baileys and my brother in law. My dad was (I think) the chief electrician and mu brother-in-law was an armature winder.

I also started my working life at Brown Baileys in the personnel office. The boss then was Mr Kelsey.

Great dinner and dances at the Cutlers Hall.

Mr dad worked at Brown Baileys (chief electrician I think) Also my brother-in-law who was an armature winder. I started my working life at Brown Baileys in the Personnel Office as a junior and my boss was Mr Kelsey.

Great dinner and dances at the Cutlers Hall

my dad worked as a boiler maker, his name was Roy Smith, he would be 80 now, we went to australia in 1975 for a year, do you remember him,

I remember playing cricket against them in the Sheffield League. I think their ground was at Oliver's Mount, Handsworth area?

Hi Davs. My dad died in 1971 but my brother-in-law is still with us. I will ask him. I don't remeber him. But I do rember playing Netball and rounders at

Brown Bayleys sports club at the top of High Hazels Park.

My grandad used to work there. I don't know any stories to pass on to you right now, but I'll try and show him this thread when I next see him.

My dad used to work at Brown Bayley's Steelworks in the Siemens open hearth furnace - there were 3 going when the works were busy. I went to work there straight from school in 1960/61 as a "trainee" - that's right just a "trainee" which meant spending a month to 6 weeks in a department until you found something you liked - or were told what to do. The youth Employment manager was Mr Kelford - I got spotted as promising and was promoted to the offices - which effectively meant a pay cut as the good money was in the hot jobs the melting shop and rolling mills where in good times you could work all the hours you wanted plenty of OT and piecework bonusus. After a while I left, then went back on the shopfloor on the furnaces finally reaching the dizzy hieghts of 3rd hand - and the odd 2nd hand shift on the Siemens Furnaces. Looking back on it it was good fun but bloody hard work and so hot - when I first started on the furnaces I was given a 28lb hammer to swing - that's a big hammer I said to the forman - Just remember he said this firm was built with big hammers and big men!

Mr dad worked at Brown Baileys (chief electrician I think) Also my brother-in-law who was an armature winder. I started my working life at Brown Baileys in the Personnel Office as a junior and my boss was Mr Kelsey.

I Worked in elec shop from 1966 to 1971 then again from 1974ish to 1981

read this quote last Thurs 6th April the following day met up with Alan the armature winder on Fri in Sheff (not seen for 10 years or more) Do remember Mr Kelsey.

An old mate of mine, John (Dog) Robson worked at Brown Baileys in the 60's. Someone may remember him. He met an American girl on holiday in the UK, took a fancy to her and went back to America with her. When I last heard he was doing fine.