Acer laptop and installing updates problem

Forgot to ask, for how long did you leave it to configure updates? Sometimes it could take up to an hour to finish configuration, depending what operating system you have and what's been updated...

Thanks.

Forgot to ask, for how long did you leave it to configure updates? Sometimes it could take up to an hour to finish configuration, depending what operating system you have and what's been updated...

Thanks.

I leave it till it trys to set up again, i don't switch it off.but just keeps returning to the config update again, i'll try what you suggest. thanks

System restore should be the last thing in this case..

Perfectly good suggestion from neeeeeeeeeek.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949358

When you try to install updates using Windows Update or Microsoft Update on a computer that is running Windows Vista or Windows 7, you may receive a message similar to one of the following:

Configuring updates stage 3 of 3. 0% complete

....after you receive this message, the computer may restart, and then you receive the same message again. Windows will not start and the computer continues to restart and display the same message. The update is not installed successfully.

• Method 1: Start Windows with the Windows installation media, and then use the Repair feature.
  • Method 2: Start the system in safe mode, and then use the System Restore feature.

I leave it till it trys to set up again, i don't switch it off.but just keeps returning to the config update again, i'll try what you suggest. thanks

When you press f8 then select safe mode it should boot then come up with a dialogue box telling you that you have started in safe mode and giving you a choice. select yes to continue in safe mode or select no to restore your computer to an earlier time.

You should select no, then follow the on screen instructions.

If you select yes you can then choose help and support and select system restore from the choice of options but 'no' should take you straight to it.