Acer laptop and installing updates problem

My Acer laptop can't move on from the screen `windows updates` it says installing updates and what stage it's at,then when it's done it reboots as normal ,then goes back to the updating process again.it seems as if it is stuck. any ideas any one?? thanks

Try safe mode and system restore

Keep pressing F8 when you turn it on and select last known good, see if that works

If not then do it again and select safe mode. When it boots, select the option to restore your computer to an earlier time. Try a few days ago or any restore point before the updates were done.

Try safe mode and system restore

Keep pressing F8 when you turn it on and select last known good, see if that works

If not then do it again and select safe mode. When it boots, select the option to restore your computer to an earlier time. Try a few days ago or any restore point before the updates were done.

it says

safe mode

safe mode with networking

safe mode with command prompt

directory services restore mode

disable automatic restart on system failure

debugging mode

last known good configuration

enable boot logging.

which one is it please.

Did you check updated files? is it updating same thing over and over again or is it updating different files each time it goes to an update mode?

If it's in a loop of updating same stuff, I would disable update, restart, enable and do update manually, if you determine what needs updating... If you need help, let me know, I'll give you hand with it - free of charge.

it just seems to be stuck on configuring up dates stages 3 of 3 0% done all the time. doesn't seem to move on.how do you disable update? thanks for your help

it says

safe mode

safe mode with networking

safe mode with command prompt

directory services restore mode

disable automatic restart on system failure

debugging mode

last known good configuration

enable boot logging.

which one is it please.

Try last known good, it probably won't work but worth a go.

Afterwards do it again and select safe mode. (the one on it's own will be fine) select system restore, select the restore point closest to when the computer did the updates. Usually a restore point is created just before the updates were done for this very reason.

System restore is not an answer to everything... you keep asking people to restore and you don't tell them they'll loose installed applications, software changes within that period..

System restore should be the last thing in this case..

So when a computer is in a loop, you can't access windows, you can't do anything, what do you suggest?

Try last known good, it probably won't work but worth a go.

Afterwards do it again and select safe mode. (the one on it's own will be fine) select system restore, select the restore point closest to when the computer did the updates. Usually a restore point is created just before the updates were done for this very reason.

tried last known good, didn't work,just went back to config updates. stage 3 of 3 - 0% complete.

doing the safe mode didn't work either theres no option to do a system restore:huh:

Forgot to ask, for how long did you leave it to configure updates? Sometimes it could take up to an hour to finish configuration, depending what operating system you have and what's been updated...

Thanks.

I leave it till it trys to set up again, i don't switch it off.but just keeps returning to the config update again, i'll try what you suggest. thanks

System restore should be the last thing in this case..

Perfectly good suggestion from neeeeeeeeeek.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949358

When you try to install updates using Windows Update or Microsoft Update on a computer that is running Windows Vista or Windows 7, you may receive a message similar to one of the following:

Configuring updates stage 3 of 3. 0% complete

....after you receive this message, the computer may restart, and then you receive the same message again. Windows will not start and the computer continues to restart and display the same message. The update is not installed successfully.

• Method 1: Start Windows with the Windows installation media, and then use the Repair feature.
  • Method 2: Start the system in safe mode, and then use the System Restore feature.

I leave it till it trys to set up again, i don't switch it off.but just keeps returning to the config update again, i'll try what you suggest. thanks

When you press f8 then select safe mode it should boot then come up with a dialogue box telling you that you have started in safe mode and giving you a choice. select yes to continue in safe mode or select no to restore your computer to an earlier time.

You should select no, then follow the on screen instructions.

If you select yes you can then choose help and support and select system restore from the choice of options but 'no' should take you straight to it.