Where to get fresh xmas turkeys

where is the best place to buy fresh turkeys at xmas {not far away }and do they do turkey crown we have always had a frozen one but want a fresh one also prices would be useful

Eastfield Turkeys. Contact Mark Warttig. Address Birkfield Green, Hopping Lane Thurgoland, Sheffield, S35 7AZ. Telephone 01226 791540

Call them for prices

They do fresh Turkey crowns at Morrissons around christmas or there's a butcher on the corner of Sharrowvale Road/Hickmott Road that does the bronze turkeys that Delia's always going on about.

They do fresh Turkey crowns at Morrissons around christmas or there's a butcher on the corner of Sharrowvale Road/Hickmott Road that does the bronze turkeys that Delia's always going on about.

I think he means he wants to see it covered in feathers and running around a field somewhere before it gets strangled

There is a turkey farm at the side of the A61 just before you enter Hoyland on the road from Chapeltown.

You can see them in the fields as you pass so I presume this is classified as free range.

Parkside Barn reared Turkey and Chicken.

01226 284973

The farm shop on Hangram Lane (out near Ringinglow) produce lovely free range turkeys- we've had ours for the last few years from there. They aren't cheap, but that's not why we buy there.

The answer to whether you can get turkey crowns rather than just turkeys is that most farms and farm shops will do nothing other than plain butchery for the birds, because they don't have the market to sell all of the other bits of bird that you didn't buy. Only supermarkets and mainstream butchers can do that sort of thing, so if you want a crown I suspect that's where you'll be shopping. Most of the supermarkets do fresh turkeys but usually on a strictly advance order only basis.

I'm not sure what bush16 is after to be honest. He speaks of fresh turkey and also turkey crown. And we don't know where he's situated so we don't know what "not far away" means.

Bush - I think the first thing is to decide what you really want. Buying a whole turkey involves a lot more cooking and messing about than buying one of those turkey crowns. If you are having a lot of people round for Christmas lunch - (8 or more) - or if you want to be able to snack on it for days afterwards, or, even do as I do, and turn it into a curry later on - then buy a whole turkey would be my advice. If you've never bought a fresh turkey before then be prepared to never buy a frozen one again once you've tasted it. There's no comparison.

If you are having fewer folks around and don't want all the messing about that comes with a whole turkey then you can buy a turkey crown. You've got 2 choices - the processed stuff - that is injected with all sorts of chemicals to keep it tasting like fresh - a la Bernard Mathews type thing - or, you could go to a really good butcher and buy a fresh turkey crown that doesn't come out of a packet and isn't processed. The Real Meat Company at Banner Cross sell both fresh turkeys and fresh turkey crowns and the quality is excellent - but you do pay more for that.

Alternatively, you could go to a farm shop. I go to one on Hangram Lane, near Fulwood.

The farm shop on Hangram Lane (out near Ringinglow) produce lovely free range turkeys- we've had ours for the last few years from there. They aren't cheap, but that's not why we buy there.

The answer to whether you can get turkey crowns rather than just turkeys is that most farms and farm shops will do nothing other than plain butchery for the birds, because they don't have the market to sell all of the other bits of bird that you didn't buy. Only supermarkets and mainstream butchers can do that sort of thing, so if you want a crown I suspect that's where you'll be shopping. Most of the supermarkets do fresh turkeys but usually on a strictly advance order only basis.

Snap!

See you at Hangram Farm on christmas eve then!:)

we have fresh frozen at work,i'm sure if you want a fresh one we can sort you out,along with all your other meats,give us a ring on 01142445512 or pop down and see us at hadfields butchers worthing road attercliffe

Edited by animal2477

I work at Whirlow hall farm shop S11 9DF. We raise our own traditional free-range turkeys on site. They are out on the fields as I write this! Unfortunately as someone mentioned earlier we sont do turkey crowns because we dont have an outlet for selling the legs and wings, and we like to encourage people to use everything. There are great recipes for turkey soup, turkey curry, turkey pies and its great on sandwiches. Once Its cooked it can be frozen. Alternatively you can do your own butchery. Since our turkey is fresh & not frozen you freeze what you don't want for Xmas and use much later. Turkey legs are great for summer bbqs! We also have beef, pork and lamb joints and Bacon sausage and pies and black pudding all from our fields.

You're welcome to come out to the farm on sat or sun to take a free tour of the farm and see how your Xmas dinner is taken care of.

Good luck on your search if we don't see you.

Another one here for the farm on Hangram lane. :)