Help for Britains got talent

I would say, let the child grow up and have a childhood before trying to wreck it by letting her face the disappointment of not winning the show. Odds are against her and to be perfectly honest, it's not the sort of thing small children should be subjected to by their pushy, selfish, fame seeking parents.

Yes the lights really would stop her from seeing much. I got through the auditions for Popstars the Rivals years ago and you have to get through the producers audition first. Really daunting and a horrible feeling if you dont make it to the end, but hey, lifes for living! Good luck to her! ( make sure she sings something different to all the usual audition songs).

Help please. We have just got a phone call from Britains got talent, to say our 13 year old daughter kelsey, has got through to auditions at manchester. The problem we have got now is that she is always singing, but she freezes in front of alot of people, please need ideas to get over this. The Audition is on the 30th of this month :o. So please help.....

Rosemarie.xx

1st audition is in a room with one person you go in as well as your child

you get told to stand on a X marked on the floor then she will get 30 seconds to sing GOOD LUCK

I would say, let the child grow up and have a childhood before trying to wreck it by letting her face the disappointment of not winning the show. Odds are against her and to be perfectly honest, it's not the sort of thing small children should be subjected to by their pushy, selfish, fame seeking parents.

If you had read my posts you would have seen my daughter went for it her self. I am not a pushy, selfish, fame seeking parent. I'm a parent that is standing by what my daughter wants to do, if she makes it then good on her, if not at least she has tryed to follow her dream. Can most of us say that ???

If you had read my posts you would have seen my daughter went for it her self. I am not a pushy, selfish, fame seeking parent. I'm a parent that is standing by what my daughter wants to do, if she makes it then good on her, if not at least she has tryed to follow her dream. Can most of us say that ???

C'mon, she's 13 years young. Children at that age can't make their mind up whether they want a McD or a Kentucky let alone making life changing decisions.

At best It's nothing more than self gratifying exploitation from their parents, or at the very least, poor parenting.

Indeed. Well, no actually, unless you think that supporting your child is poor parenting - maybe time for some parenting classes yourself, eh?

Just out of interest, how would you handle it if your kid came and said that they wanted to be on it - from your previous posts I get the impression it would be something like "don't be stupid, you are nowhere near talented enough to be on tv".

1) It's called directing your child responsibly as a parent should.

2) If my hypothetical 13 year old daughter said she wanted to have a career on "stage" then I hypothetically would take her to the local amateur dramatic club to gain some experience rather than just propelling her into the public vista (and all that entails)

3) You assumptions are wrong

And what is not responsible about allowing your child to go onto the show, if he/she wants to? Nothing whatsoever. It sounds like you might be something of an overprotective parent.

Nope, just someone with life experience

...And there is a difference between overprotective and down right irresponsible

Edited by mumkin

Nope, just someone with life experience

...And there is a difference between overprotective and down right irresponsible

If I was an irresponsible parent, then I wouldn't bother about what she wanted. If you read my post about our twins. then you would see our kids are our life, with what we have been though. she is no stupid 13 year old and I have already booked her in to see a singing coach on Monday at a recording studio and we will go on what they say, not you, but thank you for your opinion. We have been to the edge of life with our kids and we know life is for living not for regrets.

Help please. We have just got a phone call from Britains got talent, to say our 13 year old daughter kelsey, has got through to auditions at manchester. The problem we have got now is that she is always singing, but she freezes in front of alot of people, please need ideas to get over this. The Audition is on the 30th of this month :o. So please help.....

Rosemarie.xx

Have you considered being accepted for an audition may imply she isn't good, but extremely bad? Have you seen some of the acts that get beyond audition?

Surely to sign the contract to audtion she would need a parental signature?

You do realise those TV contracts are really nasty (and restrictive) right? I knew a girl who went with her friend for auditions for American Idol about 7 years back and even though she wasnt performing was still forced to sign over her rights and likeness. Apparently the contract stated she was forbidden from auditioning for any other talent shows for 2 years (as SyCo owned her likeness - even if she didnt make it to TV), and if she got through something like 5 years. She said she only saw it while reading through some of the middle pages of the contract. Dodgy, to say the least.

I wish your daughter nothing but luck, but I would never have let mine go through those shows. If your kid has it, she doesnt need a tv show to get it.

Maybe if the parent thinks their child has unique talents then maybe money would be well spent on a video and youtube'd.

I've seen first hand the effect on young children when they attempt to "be a star", I've also seen the effect it has on their parents too. Non of it is good, agents vying for possession etc soon as the parents see the colour of money, all sense flies out of the window and the child's welfare is forgotten . Greed has a funny effect on people.

I just hope (and it's no skin off my nose) that if you go ahead with this, you don't pull the "my child and family have been through the mill recently" ploy in front of the judges and public at large......it's sickening and unnecessary.

I also hope that when your kid gets to an age where she is responsible for her own actions she doesn't wonder why her parents didn't let her have a childhood.

Over to you.