Occupy sheffield

get stuck in dabuckle -we occupied firth hall in november 1979 against increased fees for overseas students, met most of the lasting friends I still have and smelt the intoxicating scent of direct action - the UNISON strike is looming, people are angry and alienated and it's time for doing rather than discussing - the camp outside st paul's is a starter, the C of E showing its colours as the front for the elite and their corporate backers - interesting times - see you at the meeting.

So how did the firth hall protest go; did you get the fees rolled back?

The church just wants the idiots to bugger off.

So how did the firth hall protest go; did you get the fees rolled back?

The church just wants the idiots to bugger off.

no of course they weren't - the fees went up -and loads of people learned that doing stuff, taking action, taking a stand is worth the hassle - the mines were closed, the bankers won, sheffield steel industry disappeared, manchester's manufacturing went elsewhere , franco won the spanish civil war, israel occupied arab lands etc etc etc etc etc (ETC) , but at least people resisted, of course others sat at home saying 'look at them chuffin' idiots - what are they bloody up to' and you're entitled to you opinion fella, but others feel that DOIN' SUMMAT is better than watching telly.

I will be striking, people without a job don't have that opportunity and do other things - good on em.

Interesting to see the level of debate getting deeper and more meaningful. Wake me up when you've moved out of your comfort zone and are up to getting to grips with the idea of taking some control of your lives.

This is the text of a statement issued by #occupylsx (Occupy London) on 16 October 2011

At today's assembly of over 500 people on the steps of St Paul's, #occupylsx collectively agreed the initial statement below. Please note, like all forms of direct democracy, the statement will always be a work in progress.

1 The current system is unsustainable. It is undemocratic and unjust. We need alternatives; this is where we work towards them.

2 We are of all ethnicities, backgrounds, genders, generations, sexualities, dis/abilities and faiths. We stand together with occupations all over the world.

3 We refuse to pay for the banks' crisis.

4 We do not accept the cuts as either necessary or inevitable. We demand an end to global tax injustice and our democracy representing corporations instead of the people.

5 We want regulators to be genuinely independent of the industries they regulate.

6 We support the strike on 30 November and the student action on 9 November, and actions to defend our health services, welfare, education and employment, and to stop wars and arms dealing.

7 We want structural change towards authentic global equality. The world's resources must go towards caring for people and the planet, not the military, corporate profits or the rich.

8 We stand in solidarity with the global oppressed and we call for an end to the actions of our government and others in causing this oppression.

9 This is what democracy looks like. Come and join us!

no of course they weren't - the fees went up -and loads of people learned that doing stuff, taking action, taking a stand is worth the hassle - the mines were closed, the bankers won, sheffield steel industry disappeared, manchester's manufacturing went elsewhere , franco won the spanish civil war, israel occupied arab lands etc etc etc etc etc (ETC) , but at least people resisted, of course others sat at home saying 'look at them chuffin' idiots - what are they bloody up to' and you're entitled to you opinion fella, but others feel that DOIN' SUMMAT is better than watching telly.

I will be striking, people without a job don't have that opportunity and do other things - good on em.

well perhaps whilst you wasting your employers time and money by striking to support "the cause" one of those people without a job can get on with doing yours.

well perhaps whilst you wasting your employers time and money by striking to support "the cause" one of those people without a job can get on with doing yours.

tee hee - there's always been scabs ecco, an occupational hazard for people of conscience, I presume you don't think people have the right to strike, in which case you don't know much history, without strikers, occupiers, activists and the like, you'd have neither the education nor the money to post your views

is there anything to occupy?

er...no. on the news tonight a report using a heat seeking camera shows that most of the tents at st pauls were empty last night and a dodgy looking spokesperson said it was because most of the occupants were elsewhere, like in the pub. obviously spending our taxes and boosting capitalist profits.

isn't that what iphones are for?

No idea, I can't afford done, being just a lowly worker.

tee hee - there's always been scabs ecco, an occupational hazard for people of conscience, I presume you don't think people have the right to strike, in which case you don't know much history, without strikers, occupiers, activists and the like, you'd have neither the education nor the money to post your views

I have no problem with strikes when there is a genuine cause.

Nothing I see or read about these current protests has any real cause. Its a bunch of people whinging and moaning about the good times being over. What they have a lack of is genuine solutions.

Nobody said that getting out of this mess was going to be easy, which incidently was a COMBINATION of factors not just bankers or just the government or just capitalists. We were all to blame we all played a part. Including millions of people living beyond their means who are now feeling the consequences. There are no quick fixes. Some people will be hurt by the cuts, others wont. That's never gonna change no matter what happens or what gets done. There will always be rich and there will always been poor. There will always be people saving every penny and always be people consuming too much and living beyond their means. Its been like that since civilisation began and aint gonna change. Too many people need to get that into their thick skulls..

But the thing that really really gets on my nerves are people who have a job. Lucky enough to have possibly a good job. But who have no thought or care that their employers might ALSO be struggling during these times and still think they have a "cause" to go out on strike for clearly no personal reason.

Just how is you going on strike, making your employer lose a day of your labour and thus losing money going to actually support or help the unemployed man on the street?

Do you not think that some poor sod in the office who cant' and wont strike now has to do extra to make up for your absence? Or the fact that your absence and the absence of your fellow strikers might cause the company to lose money to a point where they have to make redundancies or close? Oh yeah that would help the situation wouldn't it.

PS: Where in my post did I say that I have a problem with all kinds of protest/activists/causes. I just talked about strikes.

Edited by ECCOnoob

I presume that whilst we are all working to pay our taxes and get the country out of this mess all the layabout protesters are drawing the dole and other benfits whilst pontificating about how they'll save the world?

Give us a break will you? Get a life and get a job (if any employer will have you).

Those of us who have worked (and still do) all our lives are sick of idle born again hippies who think the world owes them a living whilst they do their best to bite the hand that feeds them.

I presume that whilst we are all working to pay our taxes and get the country out of this mess all the layabout protesters are drawing the dole and other benfits whilst pontificating about how they'll save the world?

Give us a break will you? Get a life and get a job (if any employer will have you).

Those of us who have worked (and still do) all our lives are sick of idle born again hippies who think the world owes them a living whilst they do their best to bite the hand that feeds them.

are you happy with the way government uses your hard earned taxes to prop up the multimillionaires bank balances?. its just been on the news today , the 75 BILLION is being distributed to the banks, and guess what they are planning to do with it?.. buy stock of billion dollar company so that instead of them being worried about the share price falling, they will miraculously change their attitude and start to invest in more jobs.... give me a break, they are awash with cash now, but they wont invest, even the goverment stake in the bank we own, rbs, lloyds. will still not invest in small business, that 75 BILLION wont ever trickle down into job creation, which is what we need desperately NOW. thats the wrong strategy the government is following now, are you happy to go along with them???

no of course they weren't - the fees went up.

That's because the unis make a lot of their money from overseas students paying full fees. That keeps your subsidised education available to you.

You were wasting your time aqnd, if you had managed to force it, you would have had to pay more to cover the loss.

So much for a uni education.

-and loads of people learned that doing stuff, taking action, taking a stand is worth the hassle - .

It would ssuggest their uni education was wasted.

the mines were closed, the bankers won, sheffield steel industry disappeared, manchester's manufacturing went elsewhere , franco won the spanish civil war, israel occupied arab lands etc etc etc etc etc

You must be older than I thought. Protesting for so long.

Pity you got the lesson wrong.

but at least people resisted, of course others sat at home saying 'look at them chuffin' idiots - what are they bloody up to' and you're entitled to you opinion fella, but others feel that DOIN' SUMMAT is better than watching telly

Not at all.

I'd watch Eastenders rather than bother with a daft lefty cretinous protest.

They all ignore the basic fact that business has to run for the sake of the business, not the mice who turn the wheel.

Wetherspoons and John Lewis were mentioned in the original post on this subject.

Are these not listed on the FTSE 100 and therefore capitalist institutions?

John Lewis don't have shares. In fact they're a shining example of good capitalism as each employee is a 'partner' in the company and each one gets a share of the profits every year.

That's why it's called the John Lewis Partnership and why they maintain high standards in the stuff they sell and in customer service.

I wish more companies were run like this as it's obviously a model that works on all levels.